Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pretty Welsh winter

A pretty Welsh winter

These were all taken this morning after a good snow-fall. The first three with canon 5D Mk1, Canon 24-105L. The last one with the Panasonic G1 - which I think is the best composition. But I love the drama of the second shot.

These are all posted at 1024px, so if you do a 'view image' in your browser you will get the full size.

C&C welcome

This is the pretty church at the bottom of my garden.

A pretty Welsh winter

The great thing about this area for snow scenes is the patchwork of small fields which breaks up the snow.

A pretty Welsh winter

The old stone bridge about 0.5 mile from the house.

A pretty Welsh winter

And my favourite. And it was taken with a £500 camera. (G1)

A pretty Welsh winter

Real Name
    Chris

Re: A pretty Welsh winter

I like the first one the best, though Welsh Winter #2 is a real close second. How does one post at 1024 without the image filling the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I like the first one the best, though Welsh Winter #2 is a real close second. How does one post at 1024 without the image filling the screen?
    It is done automatically. A little light reading for you... HELP THREAD: Viewing images on this forum And then just post your image at 1024px.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Rob

My compliments. This, to me, is a quite outstanding set of images.

The B & Ws inevitably attract my interest. #1 is a fine image, but doesn't 'light the fire'. But,.... as for the other three.

To try and say that one prefers one image more than the others is nonsensical. Here we have three images that can each stand in their own right as examples of quality work. Much as I have tried in the last 15 minutes to find something that would allow me to say, "yes, but ...." , I can't. Well... my only 'yes, but' are the wires running downwards right to left in 'A Welsh Winter #1'.

In terms of telling a story about Welsh rural life, I find 'A Welsh Winter #2' the most powerful narrative. Maybe it's because of my rural upbringing (I'm not sure), but I find myself connecting/relating to that image most powerfully.

Gorgeous!

Real Name
    Steve

Your garden is a graveyard I prefer colour over Black and White and I like the church. Lucks like your getting snow.

I saw these, last night, and I just didn't want to respond because I like them too well and didn't want to disturb the quiet space that these photos bring. I really like #1 - it's a great photo but, also, I like the subject (of course!) My very favorite is the last one, though. I want to go through that gate into the wide world. It looks like the setting for a great story! It's expansive and "cozy" (sorry, can't think of the exactly perfect word), at the same time. I think it's because of the crazy quilt pattern of the fields and hedgerows - AND, the great way that you composed the shot. I hope that I can take a photo like that, someday!

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Your garden is a graveyard I prefer colour over Black and White and I like the church. Lucks like your getting snow.
    I can see the church from my study window - and the graves!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Rob

My compliments. This, to me, is a quite outstanding set of images.

The B & Ws inevitably attract my interest. #1 is a fine image, but doesn't 'light the fire'. But,.... as for the other three.

To try and say that one prefers one image more than the others is nonsensical. Here we have three images that can each stand in their own right as examples of quality work. Much as I have tried in the last 15 minutes to find something that would allow me to say, "yes, but ...." , I can't. Well... my only 'yes, but' are the wires running downwards right to left in 'A Welsh Winter #1'.

In terms of telling a story about Welsh rural life, I find 'A Welsh Winter #2' the most powerful narrative. Maybe it's because of my rural upbringing (I'm not sure), but I find myself connecting/relating to that image most powerfully.

Gorgeous!
    Thank you for the kind words, Donald. The wires and cables are a real problem around here. Still, can't avoid them. The 5D takes a really nice quality shot. Even with that lens on the 50D it just isn't the same. Having said that the last one was taken with the G1.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I saw these, last night, and I just didn't want to respond because I like them too well and didn't want to disturb the quiet space that these photos bring. I really like #1 - it's a great photo but, also, I like the subject (of course!) My very favorite is the last one, though. I want to go through that gate into the wide world. It looks like the setting for a great story! It's expansive and "cozy" (sorry, can't think of the exactly perfect word), at the same time. I think it's because of the crazy quilt pattern of the fields and hedgerows - AND, the great way that you composed the shot. I hope that I can take a photo like that, someday!
    Katy

What a brilliant line - I really love that. If you don't mind, I'm going to use that in future. I know what you mean about going through the gate into the wider world. I thought of that when I composed the shot. My house is in the little cluster at the top left of the shot. Nice spot

Real Name
    Elise

I like them all, but I like #3 best -- since I live in an agricultural area and photograph that often, I love to see the little divided-up fields. It must be lovely in the summertime, too.

Real Name
    Chris

These really resonate with my tastes; I like every singel one of them. Lovely. I was hoping, being that this is a UK-centric site, to see pics from this week's snow.

If I were viewing these in a gallery I'd want to see the B&W first then maybe save a single color shot for last. What time of day was the first one shot?

Yes but........... with opened gate

A pretty Welsh winter

Radu Dinu

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post

A pretty Welsh winter

Radu Dinu
    Silly boy! You forgot the dog.

(he's going to do it now...)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I want to go through that gate into the wide world.

The open gate invites you into the scene. However, if Rob had really left the gate open he would now be sewing extra pockets in Bill Oddie's parka in the British Countryside Commissions High Security House of Correction for very naughty Gortex criminals.

No 2 is a beaut by the way. Although I would be inclined to remove the telephone wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    The open gate invites you into the scene. However, if Rob had really left the gate open he would now be sewing extra pockets in Bill Oddie's parka in the British Countryside Commissions High Security House of Correction for very naughty Gortex criminals.
    There would also be foot-prints across the virgin snow, which would ruin the shot.

Rob:

Really nice images - I'd like to see them in colour (see my comments on post by Yegor).

Welsh Winter images #1 and #3 are my favourites as they depict the area very well.

Glenn

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    Rob:
    Really nice images - I'd like to see them in colour (see my comments on post by Yegor).
    Thanks, Glenn. I thought the problem with colour for this one was that the bottom 2/3 are pretty colourless, and the sky isn't. Not sure.

A pretty Welsh winter

I like this one much more. There is even colour in the foreground snow.

Glenn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast