Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: remote shutter release & flash trigger

Real Name
    Chris

remote shutter release & flash trigger

Hello,

Does anyone know how I can use my remote shutter release and my flash trigger at the same time?

I use cybercyncs for my flash trigger.

thanks,

chris

Re: remote shutter release & flash trigger

Did you mean use them alternately with them both plugged in? Or did you mean use the remote release and fire the flash?

Real Name
    Chris

For example, if I wanted to take a self portrait using my speedlight, in which my transmitter occupies the camera's hotshoe, how can I then use my remote shutter release which also needs to occupy the hotshoe?

Is there a way to do this?

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Chris is there a connection for a cable release that is not on the hot shoe? The camera I have has a separate connection for it. If you tell us the make of the camera it would help.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Chris is there a connection for a cable release that is not on the hot shoe? The camera I have has a separate connection for it. If you tell us the make of the camera it would help.
    Hi Sam, I'm using a canon 50D.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Chris,

Why does a remote shutter release need to occupy the hot shoe?

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Chris,

Why does a remote shutter release need to occupy the hot shoe?
    Hi Colin,

To be honest, I've only used my remote shutter a few times since I bought it and I guess always thought it had to be mounted on the hot shoe. But from your reply, it sounds like it doesn't, correct?

Chris

I'm not sure what your setup is. I have an STE-2 remote flash trigger that sits on the hot-shoe - here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Speedl...2745097&sr=8-1

I also have an electronic shutter release like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-Remote...745511&sr=1-77 which plugs into a port socket at the side of my 50D. I can press the shutter release which will trigger the off-camera flash via the STE-2 on the hot-shoe.

Is that what you are trying to do?

For example, if I wanted to take a self portrait using my speedlight, in which my transmitter occupies the camera's hotshoe, how can I then use my remote shutter release which also needs to occupy the hotshoe?

Is there a way to do this?
    Does your Canon 50D have an infrared receiver on the body? If so, you can just buy an infrared transmitter.
    If it does not (which I think is the case), you may want to buy a Seculine Twin R4C. The "C" stands for Canon; there is also a R4N for nikon. The receiver is a bulb-like thing that connects directly to the camera body. It does not have any wires, and is so small that it need not be mounted on the hot shoe. The transmitter uses a 12V 23A battery, and does not have a built-in timer (for blub mode). Please see this flicker link, and read the tags for more information.

Although infrared has a shorter working distance, requires line-of-sight and is less reliable than radio waves, the seculine should still suffice. After all, you will be very near the camera when doing self-portraits right?

I think that this is a possible solution. However, do keep an open mind and heed the advice of other members!

Are we pointing you in the right direction? Is this post of any help?
    Last edited by Blazing fire; 19th December 2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Chris

@ Rob, yes that's what I'm trying to do. And I guess what I didn't realize and what Colin pointed out is that the remote shutter release does not have to sit on the hot shoe.

This is the remote shutter that I use.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Shutt...2782694&sr=1-5

@ Blazing fire, thanks for providing an alternate solution. I like having options to explore. You never know when they might come in handy.

Real Name
    Kathy

I do this with my RF-602s.

You need two separate Rx/Tx sets, set to different channels.

One Rx/Tx set, you put the receiver on the cable release port (it does NOT have to sit in the hotshoe, you can just let it dangle by the cable release cord from the port), and use the transmitter as your remote shutter button.

The other Rx/Tx set, you put the transmitter on the camera hotshoe, and the receiver on the flash hotshoe.

Done. Obviously, you cannot do this with a single transmitter.

Real Name
    Brian

Am I missing something? Doesn't a Canon RC-6 do remote shutter release with just about any EOS?

Real Name
    Kathy

Nope. Not until recently. The first infrared remote capable non-dRebels were the 5D Mark II and 7D. It was always kind of nutso that the dRebels could use an RC-1 or RC-5, and the 30D/40D/5D couldn't. In addition, the higher level xxD and xD bodies don't use the 2.5mm minijack connector for their cable release ports, but a proprietary N3 3-pin connector instead (probably to enable the timer-capable cable releases). Prior to the 60D, if you upgraded from an xxxD to an xxD, you had to rebuy your cable release, and your $40 IR remote was now useless, and the only Canon remotes you could get cost three figures.

Hence my getting Yongnuo RF-602s.

And I really wish the hell that Canon hadn't discontinued the RC-1. Much handier to have something thumb-sized that mounts onto your camera strap so it's always with you than something you have to remember to put in the camera bag. I love having one for video start/stop with the 5D2.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the info, I did not know that!