Real Name
    Exequiel

gloomy night

gloomy night

nikon d3000/18mm/ISO 100/30s/F5.6/0EV
    Please your comment... thanks

Re: gloomy night

Hi Exequiel

Is that your first name? If not, could you please put your first name in your profile?

I'm afraid there are several problems with this shot.

Composition - Generally, it lacks an interesting focal point to draw the eye. The low wall running up the centre just divides the shot into two halves.

Image quality - 30secs is a long exposure. You need to get more of a mixture of light and dark throughout the shot when shooting at this time of day. The bottom half is just about there, but the top area of lights on the horizon are just burnt out. Here is an example of a shot where there is a better spread of light (he is not a member here) http://www.flickr.com/photos/yury-pr...ko/3925889894/

I don't know the geography of the place but you might have been better moving down to the end of the walk-way and just shooting the lights on the other side of the water. I think your exposure would have been more balanced.

Real Name
    Exequiel

Re: gloomy night

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Hi Exequiel

Is that your first name? If not, could you please put your first name in your profile?

I'm afraid there are several problems with this shot.

Composition - Generally, it lacks an interesting focal point to draw the eye. The low wall running up the centre just divides the shot into two halves.

Image quality - 30secs is a long exposure. You need to get more of a mixture of light and dark throughout the shot when shooting at this time of day. The bottom half is just about there, but the top area of lights on the horizon are just burnt out. Here is an example of a shot where there is a better spread of light (he is not a member here) http://www.flickr.com/photos/yury-pr...ko/3925889894/

I don't know the geography of the place but you might have been better moving down to the end of the walk-way and just shooting the lights on the other side of the water. I think your exposure would have been more balanced.
    Thanks Rob for the input, they were very helpful. I would definitely apply them on my next shots. And yes, that is my real name.
    Last edited by exequiel; 18th December 2010 at 11:28 AM.