Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Geese/Ducks

Real Name
    New Beginner/Trisha

Geese/Ducks

Geese/Ducks

This is just my first time of taking photos, very beginner like. Can anyone help!!

Re: Geese/Ducks

If I might say, they blend in with the snow too much, you need to add some contrast or something, to make the geese stand out a little bit more....although others here will probably be able to offer you better advice.

What camera do you have? What editing software do you use?

Real Name
    New Beginner/Trisha

I have a Sony A230 and at this time I have no editing software.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by bushes1172 View Post
    This is just my first time of taking photos, very beginner like. Can anyone help!!
    It would be really nice to have a name by which we could call you.

You acknowledge that you are inexperienced and, to your credit, say that you do want help. There are many people on here who wil be very happy to provide that help. But I would ask two things in order to know what you have done, so far, to develop your knowledge and skills:

1. What books magazines have you read about photography?
    2. Have you studied the tutorial and technique pages on Cambridge and Colour and established which ones will be able to help you?

Real Name
    New Beginner/Trisha

I'm sorry my name is Trisha. I have only read my manual to my camera. As I said, I am pretty new at this. I was told about this website by a friend whom said it was very helpful to him when he was learning his camera and editing. So I am not really sure of all the term or anything like that at this point. Anything you can give me would be a great help! Thank you Trisha

Real Name
    Gareth

Hi Trisha. Welcome to the nicest photo forum on the web! Don't be afraid to ask ANY question here...no one will make fun of you (trust me..ive asked some real dumb ones before! lol). What do you love to take pictures of?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by bushes1172 View Post
    I'm sorry my name is Trisha. I have only read my manual to my camera. As I said, I am pretty new at this. I was told about this website by a friend whom said it was very helpful to him when he was learning his camera and editing. So I am not really sure of all the term or anything like that at this point. Anything you can give me would be a great help! Thank you Trisha
    Brilliant. Now we know where we're starting from.

Sorry, I was going to reply about 45 minutes ago, but my connection suddenly disappeared.

There are some places on this site that I would say are the essential place to start (some other folks may offer other ideas).

At the top of this page, on the menu bar, there's a tab called Photography Tutorials. That's the starting point.

There are two things that I think you've just got to study. The first one is about understanding exposure. If you click here, you go to it. But read the rest of this first. Getting a good understanding about how exposure works, is one of the fundamentals. Once you get that under your belt, a lot of other things will make sense.

The second thing I'd suggest you look at is about composition and understanding the 'Rule of Thirds'. It's in the 'Techniques' pages that you get to from the Tutorials page. But you can get to it by clicking here.

Once you've got an understanding about exposure and about composition, you are a long way down the road to being a photographer.

So, read them and come back with whatever questions you have. There will always be somebody on here ready and willing to try and help.

Once you get that, you'll also start thinking about the need for post-processing software, but we can get to that later. There's this big myth that still goes around in some places - That it's 'cheating' to do further work (post-processing) on your photographs in order to finish them off for viewing. That is a myth. In fact it's total nonsense. When all that was available was film (in the pre-digital age), the great photographers from the past spent hours and hours in the darkroom working on their negatives. Post-processing software has been called the equipment we use in the 'digital darkroom'.

So, as you get more knowledgeable and skilful, you will want to get post-processing software to take your images to the next level. There are lots of options available and people on here can give you advice and guidance about what might be suitable for you.

But, in the meantime, keep having fun. Take lots and lots of photographs and when you're looking at them really ask yourself -'Does this work?' 'Why do I think it's a good image?' 'Why do I think it's a rotten image'. That's the best way to learn.

Real Name
    Raylee

Hi Trisha

Welcome. As the others have said, don't be afraid to ask questions around here - you will learn a lot.

What part of the world are you in? Lucky you to be able to find compliant birds!

Enjoy your new hobby - you will soon be addicted like the rest of us.

Real Name
    New Beginner/Trisha

Hi Dragonaxe, thank you very much for making me feel better about getting on this website. I guess we all have to start somewhere. I love taking photos of wildlife, birds and my pets. Actually those geese are mine and they will come right over to me, same with the ducks. I love the animals. Hopefully I will have some time this week to get some more photos and work on the tutorials. Thank you again.

Real Name
    New Beginner/Trisha

Hi Camellia, thank you for welcoming me on this sight. As I mention to Dragonaxe, those birds are mine and they are pretty friendly all but the white goose. So far I am enjoying this new hobby, we all need something to do... Thanks again.

Real Name
    New Beginner/Trisha

Donald,

I will start working on those tutorials and see what happens from there. Everyone has been very nice and helpful. Thanks again, and I will keep you posted on my new hobby. Thans for the good advise as well.

Real Name
    Gareth

your own geese...thats so cool!! It also means you can put out a bit of food and lie on the ground really close to them, and get some really unusual pictures (if they cooperate of course). Try and find somewhere with a darker background and their colours will show up better Gareth

Real Name
    New Beginner/Trisha

Yes they are mine, I am sure once I get the swing of using this camera I will be able to get really nice photo's of them. So a little darker background is better, thanks for that tip.

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Dear Trish,
    Its a matter of learning the basics- the Why and How. Its a slow process but lets all grow with time. Welcome to the site. Iam going to add a photo of my own of a Black Swan and I again am new and always welcome critique &criticism. This was shot with a Canon 50D 70-200 L USM (non IS) at 1/25 sec (steady hand) , f 4.5, ISO 200.

Nasseem

Geese/Ducks
    Last edited by maloufn; 19th December 2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: add info for shot