Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: best compact camera?

  1. #1

    best compact camera?

    I have to make a decision between upgrading my Canon Xsi to the Canon Xt2i, and upgrading my Canon Powershot G7 to the G12. Comments on the Xt2i and the G12 ,and different lenses for the Xt2i, would be appreciated. (I have 35 and 50 mm prime lenses and several canon telephotos, none high end).

  2. #2
    DippyRebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    50
    Real Name
    Rachel

    Re: best compact camera?

    At the moment which of the cameras do you use most (and why) - and where are you finding the limitations which make you want to upgrade?

    Not knowing that makes it pretty difficult to offer any advice!

    Rachel

  3. #3
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,866
    Real Name
    John

    Re: best compact camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by margery View Post
    I have to make a decision between upgrading my Canon Xsi to the Canon Xt2i, and upgrading my Canon Powershot G7 to the G12. Comments on the Xt2i and the G12 ,and different lenses for the Xt2i, would be appreciated. (I have 35 and 50 mm prime lenses and several canon telephotos, none high end).
    Could you explain the upgrade steps, what will become of the camera not upgraded, is there a trade-in involved and at what amount, what do you normally photograph and why the need to upgrade? The compact you listed is very high end and the only limitation with the model I can see is your focal range and aperture.

  4. #4

    Re: best compact camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by DippyRebel View Post
    At the moment which of the cameras do you use most (and why) - and where are you finding the limitations which make you want to upgrade?

    Not knowing that makes it pretty difficult to offer any advice!

    Rachel

  5. #5

    Re: best compact camera?

    Thanks for your response. I use both cameras-- for different occasions -- e.g. snapshots of granddaughter vs still life. Limitation of the G7 compared with G12 is possibility of RAW and the swivel LCD on the G12. I use Live view for still lifes and that is more accessible on the newer Canon Rebel. Do I need the 18megs on the newest Rbel? Probably not. What I don't know -- and should ask Canon -- is whether the sensors are better on the newer models of each camera. The inclination to upgrade (even when unnecessary) is an American affliction from which I seem to suffer.

  6. #6

    Re: best compact camera?

    Thanks for your response. You will see my response to Rachel's post. I would trade in the older model of each camera-- but trade-in values are very low here (US) unless one goes to ebay or Craig's List which I don't want to do. I am o.k. with the focal range of the G7 and I believe the aperature on the G12 is the same (f2.8). When I want f2, I use a prime lens n the Rebel Xsi. I did have a Canon S90 wich is nifty (and f2) but gave it to my son in a moment of generosity.

  7. #7
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,866
    Real Name
    John

    Re: best compact camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by margery View Post
    Thanks for your response. You will see my response to Rachel's post. I would trade in the older model of each camera-- but trade-in values are very low here (US) unless one goes to ebay or Craig's List which I don't want to do. I am o.k. with the focal range of the G7 and I believe the aperature on the G12 is the same (f2.8). When I want f2, I use a prime lens n the Rebel Xsi. I did have a Canon S90 wich is nifty (and f2) but gave it to my son in a moment of generosity.
    Both new versions have upgrded sensors. See the following link for comparative data.
    http://www.neocamera.com/camera.php?id=189

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •