Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sigma 18-200mm

Real Name
    Ben

Sigma 18-200mm

Hi everyone,

I am planning on buying a Canon 500D fairly soon. However, I thought of getting the body-only version and buying a separate sigma 18-200mm lens. Is this a good lens to buy (seeing as it isn't canon) or should I just go for the Canon 500D with kit lens (and getting a canon lens later on)?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sigma 18-200mm

Ben

Ultimately it's got to be your call. Have you read some of the lens review sites, particularly in relation to the Sigma lens that you refer to?

Will it do the job that you want? Do the reviews give you confidence?

Amongst the more oft quoted lens review sites are:
    This
    This
    This
    This
    and
    This

Real Name
    Ben

I had read some reviews and they seemed generally positive but not convincing enough. I'll have a look at the sites you linked. Thanks!

Real Name
    Diane

I purchased this lens last year (I've always used Sigma lenses on my Canon cameras, both my original 10D and now the 40D), the model with stabilisation, when I upgraded my camera and while it's not perfect, it's quite a useable travel zoom. I have gone out walking and taken only this lens attached to the camera to avoid carrying too much weight and come back with some reasonable images. I never bought the kit lens when I bought the 10D.

Having taken steps to start a photo business, though, I am looking to change to Canon lenses. I already have two and have rented some more recently to help decide which ones to add to the collection. The difference is amazing.

If you are only taking photos on a hobby basis, then Sigma lenses will be fine. I might have a good price on mine if you want to consider it! As well as the rest of my collection of Sigmas.