Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Moon

Real Name
    Randy

The Moon

The Moon

Advice needed. Should I lighten the moon in this photo? It seems awfully "hot" (taken from fairly far away). I've tried to lighten it PP but even selecting just the moon, I can't seem to darken it without it affecting the clouds.

This was taken in GA. It was a full moon rising up into a nasty thunderstorm.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Re: The Moon

The Moon looks more like the Sun in this image and I hope you are not trying to bring back the visible details of the Moon's surface - The exposure was too long and those details are probably not preserved in this image.

As for area post processing, you could create and use a mask in photoshop or you can download a NIK software trial of Viveza or Color Efex Pro and use the U Point area manipulations.

Real Name
    Matt

When you say this was taken from fairly far away 238,857 miles give or take?
    Most people think that when you take a shot of the moon you need to have aa longer shutter speed! not right!! The moon moves and the longer the shutter speed the more blurred your shot will be!
    Here's a shot of the moon I took about 2 years ago with my old 350D I was using my trusty Manfrotto and my Canon 75-300mm zoom
    I have obviously done a fair bit of PP Crop, played with the shadow/Highlights and Contrast
    The Moon

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

If you want to read more about shooting the moon, go to near the bottom of this thread and, on the left hand side, you'll see 'View Tag Cloud'. Press that and then, from the options presented, press 'moon'. That will bring up a list of threads. Within these are all the answers you'd ever want about how to make pictures of the moon.

Real Name
    Yegor

I already began this subject matter several days ago
    In 5 days a full moon!
    How about small competition about?

La luna

There seems to be a presumption that Randy is trying to achieve 'faithful capture'.

Randy, if you are trying to achieve the astronomical correctness of Matt's image you have some way to go However, I presume (and it is a presumption) that you are trying to capture the mood of the scene before you. If this is the case you are nearer the mark. It is very bright and I would advise that it may be better to wait for a duller moon (if you get them in your part of the world). You will struggle to get the drama of the clouds and the detail of the moon in these conditions. The image below is petty naff but I was more interested in the clouds than the moon itself. The image was actually shot to the left (under exposed) and metered off the clouds. I selected the moon and, inverted the selection and then teased out the detail of the clouds by manipulating the tonal curve. If you shoot to under expose with these long exposures be prepared to apply some PP noise reduction.

The Moon

Real Name
    Randy

All great suggestions. Thanks for the input and lessons. Back to the drawing board...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpancheesze View Post
    All great suggestions. Thanks for the input and lessons. Back to the drawing board...
    And that's the beauty of learning. Just don't forget to post the next moon shots.

Real Name
    Suzanne

A very good lesson indeed. I just learned a bunch too Thank you!
    Steve that shot is soooo coool!!

Real Name
    Chris

Matt: what was your exposure on the moon shot?

Real Name
    Steve

I've taken a shot or two of the moon. Here is one of my best..........................

The Moon

I feel like such a failure next to you guys. x)

moon-003.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Wow!! Ok, I was happy with my shot done after I just bought my new camera...but after looking at yours, I feel...humm...let's say...kinda a beginner...) LOL !! Bravo for those pix...one day, I'll be as good....hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by mariejo View Post
    Wow!! Ok, I was happy with my shot done after I just bought my new camera...but after looking at yours, I feel...humm...let's say...kinda a beginner...) LOL !! Bravo for those pix...one day, I'll be as good....hopefully...
    I know, right? Their shots are so damn perfect! D;

Real Name
    Chris

I shot one tonight at a number of different expsoure using a 300 mm Tamron zoom (okay, it is a cheap lens, but it is what I have). I tried someone else's exposure suggestion of F/16 @ 1/3 sec and an EV of -0.5 and it was all over the place blown out. From there, I just contnued up the shutter speed trail until I hit 1/60 where I got my best image but couldn't seem to hit the magic of his shot. Oops, I forgot I had been experimenting earlier with some ISO numbers and found it set at 1250, or three stops out and had gone the wrong way on my EV, I had gone to the + side instead of minus. Bleah...so, I set everything up correctly, went outside to give it another shot and the clouds had already blocked the moon for at least two days...sighhhhhhh.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Matt: what was your exposure on the moon shot?
    Hi Chris the exposure on the shot that I took was 1/80th of a sec

Real Name
    Chris

That is going to be my exposure speed tonight, if the clouds part. I've done this with film but used a much better lens tripod. I really need to find my remote release.

Real Name
    Yegor

Look here - I have made 6 photos about per minute with absolutely identical exposition. And all absolutely different under identical conditions...So seek and shooooooooooot'em
    U have done like La Luna? so.....can be an atmosphere, air, something else.....here,in Venice is not machine, chad, and another things......

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    That is going to be my exposure speed tonight, if the clouds part. I've done this with film but used a much better lens tripod. I really need to find my remote release.
    If you can't find your remote use the timer thats what I did

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Hello, I'm new here and I just wonder if you were able to see my picture of the moon...?? How can that be visible there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast