Thread: Against plot

Real Name
    Yegor

Against plot

Against plot

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Against plot

That's a great image Yegor but there's too much black space for me.
    I think I would go for a square crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    That's a great image Yegor but there's too much black space for me.
    I think I would go for a square crop.
    +1. Definitely needs a square crop, I would say. Cool shot.

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Very creative. I like it but have to agree it needs cropped.

Real Name
    Peter

Really like the idea but I agree with the crop but not to lose the effect.

Real Name
    John

There is some hidden details in the blackspace that could be brought out with a little processing while maintaining the current composition.

Real Name
    Yegor

Thanks! I agree with you! But details, I believe, not so important on this shot. In my opinion, there are enough outlines of details, such as a hydrant and something at the left

Against plot

Yegor

I really like these images. The square crop looks OK but there is something missing that the first shot had. The black space is actually the key component for me because your can either interpret it as darkness encroaching on light or vice versa. Either way the blackness is the primary focal space. That sounds like bovine do do's but if you think about it the human brain automatically hunts the lesser detail in order to seek out the missing information (that is why you need to clone out the faded detail that still peeps through).

Rather than a square crop why not try cropping a third from the left edge and add it to the right hand side of the image. You break all the rules but you maximise the primary focal space and decentralise the compositional structure, hopefully giving it 'edge'

The image below is very different subject matter but the black focal space principle is the same

Against plot

Real Name
    Yegor

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Yegor

I really like these images. The square crop looks OK but there is something missing that the first shot had. The black space is actually the key component for me because your can either interpret it as darkness encroaching on light or vice versa. Either way the blackness is the primary focal space. That sounds like bovine do do's but if you think about it the human brain automatically hunts the lesser detail in order to seek out the missing information (that is why you need to clone out the faded detail that still peeps through).

Rather than a square crop why not try cropping a third from the left edge and add it to the right hand side of the image. You break all the rules but you maximise the primary focal space and decentralise the compositional structure, hopefully giving it 'edge'

The image below is very different subject matter but the black focal space principle is the same

Against plot
    It agree! My justification - I have made a photo spontaneously. And has cut off simply on the center, not complying a rule 1\3

Real Name
    Elise

I like both the original and the square crop, and I think it's just a matter of taste, Yegor. The square crop does heighten the detail in the darkness, especially the two little bright spots, which I would clone out. But it's a very well-done picture -- great capture, with lots of feeling!

I'm of two minds about darkness -- one teacher I had said you should always leave some detail in darkness or silhouette -- would others agree with that? I can't decide whether I agree or not. I guess it depends -- in Steve's picture (great one, by the way) it makes no sense to have detail in that darkness.

Real Name
    Yegor

Yeah,thanX!!! It from first my photos! I then did not know much! But in this picture, I think, two persons, instead of details are important! Sense in persons!

I'm of two minds about darkness -- one teacher I had said you should always leave some detail in darkness or silhouette -- would others agree with that? I can't decide whether I agree or not. I guess it depends -- in Steve's picture (great one, by the way) it makes no sense to have detail in that darkness.
    mmm...I think the inclination to leave detail is essentially the same instinct that makes our minds hunt out detail where it does not exist. We have a natural tendency to provide as much information as possible since our intelligence drives us to over-communicate. The great thing about minimal images is that they challenge the mind to substitute intelligence for imagination and for me at least this provides far more stimulation than mere recognition. The same applies to distortion or simplification of form and I expect this is why I find Nash, Nevinson and Spencer far more exiting than Constable. I can appreciate the technical competence of Constable as I can a good landscape faithfully captured by photograph but artists that break form take us to the next level and (if we let it) allows our mind to transcend the base response to beauty or admiration.

God that was a hard slog for a simple Northern lad. I think a chip butty and bottle of dandelion and burdock may be in order to bring me back into the Orwellian order of things

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I really like the image...dramatic and a bit mysterious.

Chuck

Real Name
    Steve

I like the first or top image. I like the colour in Wirefox's image and space. The psychology seems to be a lot of prejudice and not based on science but then psychology isn't.
    I think they are still drilling victims brains, will things ever change.

Real Name
    Yegor

Deeply! I have not cut off a picture, 'cause i think, that dark space around is ....... pressing.So,u can see men in this dark like fish in the water. Thus a crop spoils an atmosphere