Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Flower in Winter

Real Name
    Elise

A Flower in Winter

I thought I'd share a flower portrait for those of you who are buried under a pile of snow. It's been suggested to me that I add more space on the left and take away some on the right, but I'm not sure about that -- what do you think? C&C welcome.

A Flower in Winter

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: A Flower in Winter

I'm not sure I would do that. If anything the opposite would be more logical as the eye flows from the anchor point (the flower head) and along the stem to the right where you could leave more space to suggest growth, but I don't think it's necessary.
    If you were to do anything (and it's too late now) you could have tried focus stacking so that the whole stem and buds are in focus, but as I've never tried that technique either .... !!
    Pin sharp flower, and beautiful to look at.

Real Name
    Chris

With the right side going out of focus at the edge, I thought a good crop was in order. However, I soon realized I also didn't like the left flower's pacement or size as there was nothing in the scene which made a solid focus point...so, I moved the left flower forwad and dropped it a bit and also gave it a slight rotation to make it move to the foreground...then cropped accordingly. It was a quick and dirty edit, so please excuse the final image.

A Flower in Winter

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks, Mike -- the first suggestion was to add more space on the left and do a pano-like crop, which I did, then someone else (this is on another forum) said to again add more space on the left and take some away on the right -- ?? -- which didn't make sense to me. I've actually been playing with focus stacking a bit but didn't with this shot, and it's too late now, as you say -- no way I could go back and duplicate the conditions under which I took this pic.

Thanks for the feedback.

ETA: Chris, we posted at the same moment -- thanks for your suggestions, too. Now you've taken the space on the left away again.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It's been suggested to me that I add more space on the left and take away some on the right
    Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    I'm not sure I would do that.
    I go with the man. Don't see that that is needed.

I like the original too. It's nicest as is.

Cheers
    Nihia