Page 3 of 539 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself & Welcome Other Members (archive)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Welcome thread

Hi Tommy,

I was only 4 then - so not sure how much the place has changed in the last 45 years! Hope to see you back here sometime though - camera in hand of course!

Cheers,

Colin

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Tommy,

Quote Originally Posted by cornetman View Post
    I have a website for family and friends www.tommywilson.ca if you look please be kind.
    Well, I've had a look at a gallery (or three) and from the quality I see there, you could teach me a thing or two! I think you understate your skills. Now Colin's found another Canon and L series lens advocate! But the results speak for themselves.

Welcome from Dave

Another Hi to Judy, this time from a fellow Aussie. I'm a bit south of you on the Central Coast of NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Judy,

Another welcome! - this time from Nelson, New Zealand.

So far I've only ever made it out of New Zealand once - and that was to Brisbane. Loved the city - everything just seemed so bright and clean.
    Thanks for the welcome guys! Colin I was born and bred in Palmerston North, NZ and spent teenage years in Auckland before migrating here to Brisbane. I travel as often as I can as I really don't like the heat - so I can laugh at your "room key and aircon" comments. We arrived here in the middle of a summer and nearly died when the mercury hit 40 C!

This seems like a very useful and friendly place to hang out - I have just read a couple of the tutorials -nothing like learning how much you DON'T know! But alas, that's the joy of it all I guess. Mostly I want to learn how to get great (okay, I'll settle for good) shots of my daughter in action - she is a triathlete and the photographers who come to the races charge enormous sums to get a good shot (and even they are not always great). I figured it would be a good place to start, however, at 4.30am this morning, heading to a race on the Gold Coast, I totally forgot the camera - yep....blonde to the core!

Real Name

Well Judy, you've come to the right place :)

We might have to claim you as a Kiwi though - we're staging a bit of a take over (you'd make 5 here that I know of!)

Sean's tutorials are world class - and there are many here who can help you put them into practice. Be aware though that many types of sports photography can push even the best equipment to the limit - often they require high shutter speeds to freeze the action, and this means wide apertures and high ISO settings to get enough light in - and that often means very expensive lenses and cameras, but there's no problem that money can't solve as they say!

Cheers,

Colin

Name’s Roger (obviously), I live in the fair city of Gloucester and I’m recently retired. I’ve been taking photos for about the last fifty years with cameras too many to remember.

I now use Sony Alphas but still collect the oldies and occasionally put a roll of film through one or other of them.

I'm photographically pretty egalitarian but my current obsession is insect macros and close-ups, mainly because I blessed with a very large garden full of wildlife – and a wonderful wife who maintains it.

I look forward to enjoying using this forum

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 18th January 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Real Name

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forums! - I'm still a few years away from retirement - so I just wanted to say "you lucky fella"!

Cheers,

Colin

Hello Everyone!

Firstly, I'd like to thank those who created this great website. The wealth of knowledge you have shared through your tutorials and forum have been incredibly useful to me. My name is Amber, and I am from Minnesota, USA and own a small photography business. I am currently shooting mostly portraits with an occasional wedding. My arsenal of photography equipment includes a Canon 50D and a few lenses, my favorites being the 50mm 1.4L and the 10-22mm EF-S. Like many of you, I am quite passionate about photography and believe the digital revolution has opened up the photography world to exciting and limitless possibilities.

www.amberspixeldust.com

Real Name

Hi Amber,

Welcome to the forums - great to have you with us.

Nice website too by the way!

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

Real Name
    Peter Mott

Colin thanks for this - I have grabbed the flash article, doubt I would ever have found it. So shall read and no doubt bug you with questions. I checked on Google where you live, wish I did too. There must be some fantastic sea-kayaking around there when the weather is rightr though big winds from the North not so good.

Thanks again - Peter

I am new to the forum and interested in Tilt shift with Photoshop CS. My other interest is HDR. I made an attempt to locate tilt shift in the forum however only three links showed up and all were related to lens adjustment. Anyone know of any good tutorials? Thanks, Lawson

Real Name

"Colin thanks for this - I have grabbed the flash article, doubt I would ever have found it. So shall read and no doubt bug you with questions. I checked on Google where you live, wish I did too. There must be some fantastic sea-kayaking around there when the weather is rightr though big winds from the North not so good. "

You're welcome Peter. Just sing out if you have any EOS flash questions - more than happy to try and help. There are a few "gotchas" with them, but once you understand how they "think" they're not too bad.

Cheers,

Colin

Real Name
    Jim

Hi,
    My name is Jim.I live in West Virginia.I am a retired business owner and I bought my 1st DSLR last year.My interests lean towards wildlife and landscapes,but I also like to shoot macro.
    I have a lot to learn yet, especially the post processing of images.I'm looking forward to participating in the forums.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Lawson, Jim, Welcome.

Real Name

Hi Jim, welcome to the forums.

Quite a diverse range of subjects you photograph there - what kind of lenses are you using?

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

Real Name
    Jim

Thank you for the welcomes.Colin, here's the lenses I use at the moment.
    Canon 10-22,17-55,70-200 f/4,Sigma 150 macro,Canon 100 macro.
    I just started using a Canon 70-300 DO.A very nice lens,but there is a learning curve to get the best out of it(I'm definitely at the bottom of the curve).I also am waiting on delivery of a Canon 300 f/4 I plan to use mainly for airshows.
    Jim

Real Name

Hi Jim,

I thought you'd have a bit of a collection to cover those interests! Have you thought of the EF 100-400 F3.5-.6 IS USM at all for airshows?

Cheers,

Colin

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Colin,
    I have considered the 100-400 and may eventually get one.I got a really good deal on the 300 f/4 and I also like the close focus ability of the lens.I always purchase flight line seating so I'm in a good spot for a lot of close shots.I also plan to shoot with a 1.4X TC.Using a 50D I can crop a bit if needed.If I'm not satisfied with the results the 100-400 will be my next purchase.
    Jim

Real Name

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you've got it all under control. Be sure to post some of those aircraft shots when you get them!

Cheers,

Colin

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Amber, welcome to the forum!

I checked your internet site, it's nice, the pictures you're taking are also really good.

Cheers,

Daniel