Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Post Parade

Real Name
    Rachel

Post Parade

Not people, not pets, but I guess they still belong here.

Post Parade

I really haven't experimented much with B&W, so I'm open to your constructive criticism.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Post Parade

The teacher in me wants to see more dog, less human - or, maybe it is either more of the humans, or less. I am not sure but cannot seem to focus on what is the most important thing you want me to see...maybe there is just too much going on in the scene...I like the light, yet it is so overpowering the rest of the scene, I think maybe I don't. I like the puppies but I am of want to see more of them...and the humans, I know they need to be there, but do I really need to see this much of them, that which I can see...
    I don't dislike the scene, but I cannot say I particularly like it, either...so, I guess, in the end, my critique is as wishy-washy as I am tonight...I probably need to go to bed.
    Oh, the B&W is fine, for the most part. I did play with your image a bit by cropping and toning down the highlight a bit...and pretty much eliminating the back dog and handlers. They really weren't doing much to promote the plot of the story.

Post Parade
    Last edited by MiniChris; 8th December 2010 at 11:55 AM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Rachel, I agree with what Chris has said and think he has done a great job on the crop and rework. The crop especially has made the shot much more interesting.

Wendy

Real Name
    Rachel

Thanks so much for the input!

This is not my typical shot or crop, but I thought I'd try it out anyway. I originally had the crop with just the two dogs like you did, Chris, but for some reason I didn't like it and I wanted to include the whole post parade. I also wanted to include the light source because otherwise the rays of light wouldn't make sense.

Maybe my mind is stuck in the 4x6 aspect ratio. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I usually share pictures in a series, and I like for the crop to be uniform, otherwise the presentation looks sloppy and unprofessional (to me, at least).

I really like this star filter I picked up. That was the first chance I had to use it and I figured out pretty quickly that it's just too overpowering to use out at the track.

So it's fine as far as post-processing goes?

Real Name
    Chris

I think so. I am still learning about post production work as per digital imagery goes, but if this was done via a film/paper print, I'd give it a high mark.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Brindles View Post
    So it's fine as far as post-processing goes?
    Hi Rachel,

I don't see any problems with the PP.

I think I prefer the smaller cropped version.

I might have tried cloning and/or blurring some of the background features to simplify the composition.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

I like when there are really black blacks in B&W photos. Your photo has a nice range from black to white. I never can get my photos to look like I think they should. You did a fantastic job!