Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Silver Efex?

Real Name
    Chris

Silver Efex?

I see a lot of comments on this software and have some questions. Until I get my new 64 bit processor and CS5 in, can I use this software with CS2? Also, is there a "real" sense of the film grains as they show in their advertisement?
    I think it is Rob who did an edit on a DMACK image of a horsetrack in the snow, and I think he used this program. I wondered why he didn't choose to use a finer grain film look such as you would get with Panotomic X (my most favorite of the old films...though Ilford 50 runs a close second - especially with a nice selenium tone).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Silver Efex?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I see a lot of comments on this software and have some questions. Until I get my new 64 bit processor and CS5 in, can I use this software with CS2?
    From their website what you get is:-

Silver Efex?Windows

• Windows XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
    • AMD or Intel processor
    • 1 GB RAM (2GB or more Recommended)
    • Adobe Photoshop® CS3 through CS5
    • Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 through 9
    • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® 2.3 or later
    • 32-bit and 64-bit compatible

Silver Efex?Macintosh

• Mac OS 10.5.8 and 10.6 and later
    • Intel processor
    • 1 GB RAM (2GB or more Recommended)
    • Adobe® Photoshop® CS3 through CS5
    • Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 through 9
    • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 or later
    • Apple® Aperture® 2.1.x and later
    • 32-bit and 64-bit compatible

Real Name
    Chris

Well, that leaves me out for the time being...but soon, I hope...I wonder how I missed that bit of info...

HOWEVER, I would still like to know if it lives up to all the ad hype.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

The good thing about NikSoftwares' SILVER EFEX PRO is their use of the U-point Technology. What this means is that you can selectively adjust the Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation of any region on an image without affecting other part of the image since you can also adjust the size of the adjusted area. Also, Silver Efex is one of the easiest B&W conversion software that can give you an immediate good image just by simply clicking it to convert your image to B&W. What I meant is that by default their conversion algorithm is already that good. My comment is based in comparison to the desaturate feature, b&W feature, and shadow/highlight features of photoshop. You can actually "test drive" it before you buy it on a fully functional 15-day trial time. IMO, you won't be sorry you bought one if you are really heavy into B&W. Scott Kelby even uses one if I am not mistaken. Hope this helps.

As for your grain concern, YES, you can even manipulate the grain per pixel value and the softness/hardness of the grains effect that you want to achieve. The number of film type selection is just the start for you to determine the type of film conversion effect that you want. After that your imagination is the only limit as to how far you want the software to help you.

Real Name
    Chris

Many thanks. Now, just to await the new computer and CS5.

Real Name
    Bear

I really like Efex

Real Name
    Hans

I use Silver Efex and to my opinion it's worth every penny.
    You might be able to create the same B/W quality in Photoshop, but it works very fast and as mentioned already the u-point technology gives lots of flexibility in partial adjustments.

It's a dilemma. On the one hand I think it's overpriced (I paid £160), but on the other hand it does make a very impressive job of BW conversions.

Any one interested in putting this to the test? I'll provide a RAW file that you can download and we can try out several BW conversion packages between us and see the results, and get comments on how easy they are to use.

Real Name
    Hans

Sounds like a good idea Rob,

Are you opening a new tread for this?

Quote Originally Posted by hansm View Post
    Sounds like a good idea Rob,

Are you opening a new tread for this?
    Yes, I'll do it tomorrow.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Quote Originally Posted by hansm View Post
    I use Silver Efex and to my opinion it's worth every penny.
    You might be able to create the same B/W quality in Photoshop, but it works very fast and as mentioned already the u-point technology gives lots of flexibility in partial adjustments.
    I agree completely and as someone who started out with film and heading back to film ( as soon as I can get a wet darkroom set up ) I love the effects possible with Silver Efex.

Real Name
    Nuno Pacheco

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    It's a dilemma. On the one hand I think it's overpriced (I paid £160), but on the other hand it does make a very impressive job of BW conversions.

Any one interested in putting this to the test? I'll provide a RAW file that you can download and we can try out several BW conversion packages between us and see the results, and get comments on how easy they are to use.
    Of course! I think it is one of the most interesting B&W tool ever.