Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: "Sky Fire"

Real Name
    Mike Ippolito

"Sky Fire"

I know how much you guys love to pick apart sunsets. I am just going to state that this was a "OMG LOOK AT THAT" moment, so there is really no composition to the photo other than the crazy crazy colors in the sky. I didn't edit this photo at all and I believe this particular one was taken with the camera in program. Anyway the colors are nuts.

"Sky Fire"

Real Name
    Russell

Re: "Sky Fire"

Hi, well I like it, wicked coloured sky.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

'OMG' indeed.

Okay, it ain't going to win prizes for composition - I'd be tempted to crop it at the same aspect ration just to the right of the light stand. You're still going to be left with an 'OMG' sky behind a nice silhouetted tree line.

Well done for having been ready to get out and get it.

Real Name
    Wendy

Yup, I like it too. Despite the OMG colours though, I think the light standard makes it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Yup, I like it too. Despite the OMG colours though, I think the light standard makes it.
    There you go, Mike. You choose. Two opposite views!

Real Name
    Wendy

Ooops, Donald and I must have been typing at the same time and I see we have another OMG moment such that I disagree with Donald on this one (a first I think). I like the light standard, and don't think it would be near as good without it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Mike Ippolito

@Russell - Thanks! Yeah it was wicked nuts too look at it in person. It was gone almost as soon as it happened too...really odd.

@Don - I was thinking about that. The problem is that there is another light stand in the background of the photo..to get them both out leaves you with a photo that looks less like trees and more like bushes on a hill...but maybe that doesn't matter. I posted the result below.

If anyone wants to grab it and play with it feel free...it might be an interesting to play with.

"Sky Fire"

Real Name
    Mike Ippolito

@Wendy + Donald - Isn't that what makes photography so great though. Everyone has their own take on something and looks at things a little differently.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by risingphoenix View Post
    @Don - I was thinking about that. The problem is that there is another light stand in the background of the photo..to get them both out leaves you with a photo that looks less like trees and more like bushes on a hill...but maybe that doesn't matter. I posted the result below.
    Mike

I promise that Wendy and I won't start throwing things at each other over your image. I don't mind the far off lamp stand. It does help define the trees as trees. It's that near one that I felt was too much 'in-my-face'.

Real Name
    Mike Ippolito

Aww come on where's the fun if no one is throwing things!

If I have a second I'll look at it again and see what it looks like with just that one post cropped out.

Thanks for all the feedback guys...it's nice to have somewhere to go and look for C&C without being harassed or trolled on a forum love this place

Real Name
    Roy

Hi, My first entry in this forum.
    I think I would agree with Wendy in that the streetlight somehow gives the scene some context. Some of the skies you can get are truly unbelievable unless you have been there. This is one of these images, and the light also gives it a depth which it doesnt have with the light removed. I like it.

Real Name
    Mike Ippolito

Thanks Roy and welcome to the forum

Real Name
    Jim

Mike,
    Definitely WOW colours.I like the original,but had a play with it.Here's a 3 minute edit.

"Sky Fire"

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by risingphoenix View Post
    @Wendy + Donald - Isn't that what makes photography so great though. Everyone has their own take on something and looks at things a little differently.
    Yup, there are so many ways to see the same thing. I still vote for the original though. Love it. Without the lamps it's just another colourful sky - to me anyway.

Wendy

Real Name
    Mike Ippolito

@Jim- That's great! I love seeing different people's takes on a single image...glad you liked it!

@Wendy - It's exactly what I love about this art form! Ten different people can have 30 different views on a composition...then you get someone else to come in and tweak it and OMG 30 more different opinions develop from that simple change.

Thank you all!

Real Name
    Pops

I will have to vote for leaving in the light standard (pole.) The cropped one is very good and the colors are what I particularly like about sunsets. However, the light pole does give some context and structure to the picture.

I always tell my students to listen to people who say they would like it this way or that way. Try some of the suggestions you get. However, remember that it is YOUR picture. Pick the art you like best and go with it.

Pops

Real Name
    Suzanne

I too like the pole. Its a monolith against a blod red sky. How cool is that? Don't you just hate those moments when you know if you just had a little more time you could've REALLY done something fun and great? but yeah, I like the pole too. Cheers

Real Name
    Mike Ippolito

Thanks again for the great comments guys! I particularly like the "monolith" analogy!
    This was a pretty fast moving event and as the clouds dissipated the lighting constantly changed. Thought you would like to see the progression since you all seemed to like the picture in general for what it is.

"Sky Fire"

and as the clouds completely moved out of the area

"Sky Fire"

Real Name
    Suzanne

Who wouldn't be moved to tears by an incredible sunset like that? LOL I mean come on? Thank you for sharing. We had one like that here in VT not too long ago. Is it too corny to put up a snap shot of the one we had? One good sunset deserves another. I'll put up a small one, maybe.
    "Sky Fire"

Real Name
    Mike Ippolito

Go for it Suzanne! Awesome shot! Love the reflection in the water!