Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say Hello to Kirsten

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Say Hello to Kirsten

Just four of a few hundred shots from 3 shoots this weekend.

Hope you enjoy

Say Hello to Kirsten

Say Hello to Kirsten

Say Hello to Kirsten

Say Hello to Kirsten

Re: Say Hello to Kirsten

All of the young people from Australia and NZ that are featured on CiC always seem to me to be so happy, healthy, and nice. Is it something to do with the climate? The culture?

I prefer the last one. She looks very happy and relaxed. Not sure about the double straps in #2 but it's a very nice pose and the light on her face is good.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Another amazingly high quality set. Not only technically brilliant, but you clearly have the ability to make your models relax and feel very comfortable.

Real Name
    Kay

Quiet weekend then Colin!

#2 and #4 are my favourites, she looks as if you were just chatting away and 'click' ....a pose, that doesn't look posed, she's perfect

and Rob......do not be deceived, some of our 'creatures' down here may look sweet, but there might be a whole new picture 'if provoked'......which as you can imagine happens frequently.....
    me: - no you cannot go there.
    miss: - why
    me: - it's my job to keep you safe
    miss: - do you have to be employee of the month?

at this point once provoked, it is best to leave and retreat with one's camera to places unspecified, but at least out of earshot.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    All of the young people from Australia and NZ that are featured on CiC always seem to me to be so happy, healthy, and nice. Is it something to do with the climate? The culture?
    Nah - just Photoshop

I prefer the last one. She looks very happy and relaxed. Not sure about the double straps in #2 but it's a very nice pose and the light on her face is good.
    Hi Rob,

It seems to be the trend at the moment (for women) to dress with a bra - singlet - and top, which of course give rise to potentially up to 3 sets of straps. Personally I find that I like either all obviously showing, or none showing ... the shots that they look out of place in seem to be where there's only a little bit showing and it kinda implies that it's something I missed. In this case I mentioned them to Kirsten, and she was happy for them to be there. Hiding them can range from possible through to impossible.

I had to laugh (later) about a shoot I did of a young girl like this, with her mother present. Her bra strap was showing and her mother said "take your bra off" ... I was thinking to myself "I am SO NOT GOING THERE!" (as I tried to disappear into the floor). Thankfully she didn't; in all seriousness though, it's obviously an area to be diplomatic about because I guess the inference is that if the photographer doesn't want additional straps showing - and they can't be hidden - then they start to wonder if the next question will be "can you take them off" - so again, not going there ... thus if they don't mind straps showing then straps showing it is!

Cleavage is an area that sometimes has to be dealt with though - these days (with teenagers) I'm finding that done tactfully it's not a drama - just a reality. Kirsten was actually a good example of this in that when she laughed she would roll her shoulders forward with the net result being a top that looked like it was a couple of sizes too big "in the front" - so after unsuccessfully trying a subtle work around I just had to sensitivley mention the issue and problem solved. Possibly the key to the comfort comes right from the start when I give them a bit of a briefing including telling them that when they need to get changed to just pop through into my office and lock the door behind them (in fact most of the time they don't even worry about closing it, so I have to be a bit careful about where I'm working whilst they're getting changed.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th December 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Another amazingly high quality set. Not only technically brilliant, but you clearly have the ability to make your models relax and feel very comfortable.
    Thanks Donald,

Funnily enough, most have never been shot in a studio before and are somewhat nervous, but come out the other end having really enjoyed the experience (and a couple even want to live there).

I guess it's not hard to figure out that a guy with a professional (but relaxed manner) in a fully equipped studio isn't really any kind of threat; quite a ways removed from some dirty old man with a point and shoot trying to lure women in. I'm learning to control them more and more whilst looking through the viewfinder too. It's actually quite hard to compose and shoot AND talk to the models about what you want them to do, all at the same time (and of course each model is different). Kirsten was good though ... she tried hard, and in the end I was able to get quite a good shooting rapport with her.

The irony is that just about every male friend who sees the studio comments along the lines of "oh yeah -- nudge nudge, wink wink -- bet I know what goes on here then". I assure them that it doesn't ... I joke that it would, but we just can't find the women as they're too smart for us! In reality though, if someone over 18 wanted more 'revealing" stuff shot I honestly wouldn't have a problem with it (with appropriate safeguards for all of course); at the end of the day it's just so full on with lighting changes etc that there really isn't any time to even think about anything apart from the job at hand.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Quiet weekend then Colin!
    Cough ... and that was just Saturday!

#2 and #4 are my favourites, she looks as if you were just chatting away and 'click' ....a pose, that doesn't look posed, she's perfect
    Well #2 was!

I explained to Kirsten that different poses work for different people, so we needed to explore a few combinations to find one that worked for her; in the end of was the old "point feet away from me, and then swivel the hips and waist around towards the camera, dropping the shoulder", which is the #2 shot (we actually did quite a few in that pose with different outfits).

#4 was the best of a bad bunch though ... in the end I had her seated and leaning on an ironing board with a black cloth over it. We tried a few hand placements, but they all looked too over-powering and artificial; I did discover that running hands through hair can look good though. The pose here was the result of a bit of desperation when I said "show me what you'd do to be relaxed" and "hey presto".

Real Name

If course the other "golden rule" is "never argue with a crazy woman with a gun"!

Say Hello to Kirsten

Note: I have to say this of course ... not a real gun ... just an air pistol ... with magazine removed ... breach cleared ... and safety on ... shot under controlled conditions!

Cleavage is an area that sometimes has to be dealt with though
    Oh hell aye!

Colin they are all up to your usual high standard but you have achieved a much softer and natural feel with this shoot. I like all of these but No3 is a great pose and you can feel her energy coming at you through the frame.

if someone over 18 wanted more 'revealing" stuff shot I honestly wouldn't have a problem with it (with appropriate safeguards for all of course); at the end of the day it's just so full on with lighting changes etc that there really isn't any time to even think about anything apart from the job at hand.
    I am afraid my lighting would suffer. I would become Benny Hill on speed. I am not convinced total detachment is best anyway. You need to get the mood into the image. Far too many glamour shots are asexual due to enforced detachment. I think that is why some of the most sensual glamour images are shot by women.

On the practical side, buy a couple of heaters (even in your climate) and make sure that tight clothing is removed well before the shoot. Sock imprints around the ankles and underwire marks are not a good look

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Say Hello to Kirsten

Note: I have to say this of course ... not a real gun ... just an air pistol ... with magazine removed ... breach cleared ... and safety on ... shot under controlled conditions!
    Nah! I reckon she's laughing so much because she just put the magazine back in and took off the safety.

Good shot.

Or in response to.... "but it's the biggest zoom I have got"

Real Name
    Elise

Colin, these are beautiful -- you are very skilled. I don't have any trouble with the double straps in #2; however, if I were the model, I would want that little button? Knot? on the pink shirt cloned out. But she may have liked it there.

Real Name
    Remco

#2 and #4 are my favourites too. That said, I like #3, except for the clenched jaws, which make it look very posed/forced (#1 has the same forced-looking smile).

@Elise: not sure you could clone out just the button: it seems to be the end of a decoration on the pink shirt, there's a band crossing the chest starting at that button.

Remco

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Colin they are all up to your usual high standard but you have achieved a much softer and natural feel with this shoot. I like all of these but No3 is a great pose and you can feel her energy coming at you through the frame.
    Thanks Steve,

Yeah - it was shot on my new light table, which I'm starting to have more fun with. The "softer" bit is probably just large light sources and my skin softening technique in Photoshop.

I am afraid my lighting would suffer. I would become Benny Hill on speed. I am not convinced total detachment is best anyway. You need to get the mood into the image. Far too many glamour shots are asexual due to enforced detachment. I think that is why some of the most sensual glamour images are shot by women.
    Oh well, people tell me that I'm an old woman, so I might be OK if and when the situation arises!

On the practical side, buy a couple of heaters (even in your climate) and make sure that tight clothing is removed well before the shoot. Sock imprints around the ankles and underwire marks are not a good look
    Yep - I have 3 electric and 1 gas heater. It's actually something we discovered during the winter when we shot 4 girls here - all of them young and skinny - and in the end they got a bit cold (one was a bit ill anyway), so now I have a huge thick blanket - 2 sleeping bags - 4 heaters - and some chairs to sit on.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Or in response to.... "but it's the biggest zoom I have got"
    Don't talk to me about zooms just at the moment! My 6th month old EF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM II is broken; switched it on for a shoot the other day and the IS unit went ballistic, so it's been sent back

Only way I'll get it back before Xmas is if someone can pull a few favours for me (good chance, but not guaranteed).

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Colin, these are beautiful -- you are very skilled. I don't have any trouble with the double straps in #2; however, if I were the model, I would want that little button? Knot? on the pink shirt cloned out. But she may have liked it there.
    Thanks Elise

Can't say that the button really bothers me, although possibly nicer without it being there. I'll see if she mentions it.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    #2 and #4 are my favourites too. That said, I like #3, except for the clenched jaws, which make it look very posed/forced (#1 has the same forced-looking smile).
    Hi Remco,

I know what you mean, but it's not really a clenched jaw - just a slightly pronounced overbite, which I think makes it look a bit that way.

I captured the whole gamut of expressions -- will probably add some more as I get around to processing them.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Don't talk to me about zooms just at the moment! My 6th month old EF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM II is broken; switched it on for a shoot the other day and the IS unit went ballistic
    That's s...!

Let us know what happens.

Real Name
    Thierry

Portrait is not in my usaul field of photographic activity however, I appreciate. This is a very nice serie. My favorites are #2 and #3

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Nah! I reckon she's laughing so much because she just put the magazine back in and took off the safety.

Good shot.
    I would never give a woman a gun, I can still remember how the ex wife chopped vegetables using the knife to point with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast