Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Catalogue of Websites

Real Name
    Jim

Catalogue of Websites

Hi,

Being new to the forum I don't know what has been posted before. Forgive me if I am going over old ground.

Would it be an idea to have links to the various websites, catalogued into areas of expertise, those that have been set up by the members themselves and others that are recommended all on one page.
    Is there a protocol that prevents this?

A professional photographer friend of mine showed me the following site which inspires his work. I am sure that many of you will know of Joey L, but if you don't please enjoy his work, his narrative and philosophy.

How would this be categorised? Probably under "Adventure", but AMAZING would probably be nearer the mark!

http://www.joeyl.com/blog/

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Catalogue of Websites

Jim

I'm not aware of any protocol to prevent what you suggest, but I'll let the Mods comment. The major issue, I think, would be on resource management. As you may be aware, Sean (site owner) and the Mods are all doing this on totally voluntary basis and I think such a resource would need to be strictly managed to stop it becoming a total free-for-all. There would need to be some sort of quality control. There would need to be an agreement on the classifications and then someone deciding into which categories various things went.

Maybe I'm over-complicating it. You or others might have ideas about how it could be made to work.

In the meantime, there is a thread in which members are invited to post details of their own website. Click here to open the door to that particular treasure trove.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Donald,

I do realise a great deal of thanks is due to the Site Owner and Moderators and the time that they freely give to the website. It was just a thought. I was thinking more of a self posting of sites - not quite a free for all - where the person posting the link would select the category under which the website should be listed, but before it was made public the site would be vetted by the Mod. The categories would probably develop over time, but general headings could be used initially. Any unsuitable sites would be reported and struck off. However in the absence of this the link you kindly provided, as you have said, opens up a treasure trove. Many thanks.

Jim

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Jim

Okay folks - there are some thoughts. What do others think?