Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Something a little different

Real Name
    Elise

Something a little different

I've been fooling around with putting multiple shots in one frame. The first is a hummer who posed for me the other day; the second is from yesterday, where I focused on a flower I thought might make a nice composition and then waited for a Monarch butterfly to land on it. Well, the Monarch never showed up (there, anyway), but a number of other visitors did, so I put them all together in one frame. I wish the pictures were exactly parallel in terms of framing, but sadly, they're not.

I think the second one might look better if side-by-side -- I can imagine them being matted that way. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Something a little different

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I wish the pictures were exactly parallel in terms of framing ... Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Not sure that I'm capable of giving you any help on this approach to presenting images, apart from saying that it clearly works when the subject material is appropriate, as it it is here.

Neither am I convinced that you do need to have them all lined up exactly the same within their individual frames. It's very clear to the viewer that we're looking at different captures of the same subject. I think each being an exact copy of the others in terms of framing might make it a bit regimented and, dare I say, boring. I like it as it is.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I've been fooling around with putting multiple shots in one frame. The first is a hummer who posed for me the other day; the second is from yesterday, where I focused on a flower I thought might make a nice composition and then waited for a Monarch butterfly to land on it. Well, the Monarch never showed up (there, anyway), but a number of other visitors did, so I put them all together in one frame. I wish the pictures were exactly parallel in terms of framing, but sadly, they're not.

I think the second one might look better if side-by-side -- I can imagine them being matted that way. Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Hi Elise

I like the first one. I like the fact you've captured the bird still and then in flight. With the second set, have you tried arranging them horizontally with the sequence going from furthest away from to closest to the camera? Not sure if that makes sense. I'm wondering if you can create a flowing effect given the flowers are positioned slightly differently. I'm thinking of using the positional differences to create a pattern. Let me know if I'm not making sense.

BTW - is that a gum tree? I know California has lots of eucalypts. Every time I see gum trees with flowers I think of the May Gibbs' characters Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.

What lens do you use for your bird shots? You have some lovely wildlife around you.

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks very much. Raylee, yes I do agree that the pictures might look better horizontally, and I'll try that later today. We have lots of eucalyptus trees where I live, and they are a mixed blessing, as the people in Australia also know, I'm sure -- lovely trees that make a great environment for birds and butterflies, but also very messy and highly flammable -- very dangerous in a place where fire is a constant concern.

I don't know the book that you mention, but some years ago I read a wonderful book called Eucalyptus, by Murray Bail -- a kind of fairy tale that takes place in New South Wales, very mysterious and captivating. I wonder whether people in Australia know that book.