Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monarch Butterflies

Real Name
    Elise

Monarch Butterflies

Since Rob has asked us to post pics for comment, I'll get up my courage and do it. This time of year, the Monarch butterflies come to Santa Cruz to feed on the eucalyptus blossoms. I've gone three times this week to try to capture them -- here are a couple from today.

Monarch Butterflies

Monarch Butterflies

I'll appreciate your comments.

Real Name
    Kym

Re: Monarch Butterflies

Both well executed. #1 is my pick.

Real Name
    Chris

I so loved it when the Monarchs flew into southern California on their way to Mexico...in some places, they would literally blanket a tree until orange and black were the only visible colors...thanks for a memory refresher.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Beautiful....amazing creatures they are.

Chuck

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Elise,

Nice work.

I like #1 and the way the leave wraps around the butterfly making it the centre of interest. The rest of the background is nicely blurred and compliments the image by reinforcing location.

The second image is more open. The leaf at top right is on the same focal plane as the Monarch so is also sharp. Now I have two points of interest equally as sharp and competing for my attention. There is also another leaf pocking its head into to frame at top left that is also sharp.

When using shallow DOF to highlight a subject it is important that the main subject is the only thing that is sharp as the human eye seeks out the sharpest part of the image. In # 2 we have competing influences.

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks, everyone -- Peter, I see exactly what you mean. It was very challenging because of the numbers of leaves and twigs and so on, to get in a good position, in good light, etc. Fortunately it was a bit overcast, so the light was diffuse.

One butterfly sat for a very long time, allowing me to get a number of pictures, change angle, aperture, ISO, etc. Then when he finally moved, he fluttered by right over my telephoto, as if to say, "There you go . . . "