Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Making Hluboka nad Vltavou lighter

Real Name
    Jonathan

Making Hluboka nad Vltavou lighter

Hello,

Perhaps the main reason because I'm trying to learn photography is because when I came back from my trip to Czech Republic and Slovakia I've realised that my pictures weren't so good as the places deserved. This one is of Hluboká nad Vltavou, a very nice place in Czech Republic. It's a bit dark.but I wonder if any of you could make it a little brighter, and perhaps the castle more less 'tilted' (I think it is the correct word) if you need to crop it a bit I don't mind. I'd be enourmously thankful.

Ah, and if you can, go there and visit the place

Last edited by Pohled; 2nd December 2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Adding the picture

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Making Hluboka nad Vltavou lighter

Jonathan

Can you tell us if you have any post-processing software on your computer that you use - a package that allows you to make adjustments to your photographs? This will help people advise you what you could do to improve the quality of your work.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hi,

Donald,

I only have PhotoImpression with a few tools. I was able to make it brighter, but it was as for the picture as a whole. But it is a little better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Using PhotoImpression you can certainly straighten and lighten your photographs, as well as many other edits.
    I have not used the programme and so cannot advise on just how you go about making the changes. May I suggest you work through the manual. You may also find that Arcsoft have a dedicated forum for the software, where you may also be able to get help. There also seem to be quite a number of tutorials on the web. Just Google 'photoimpression tutorials'.
    Sorry I can't be more specific.

Real Name
    Will

This is the result of 10 minutes in GIMP editor (search on sourceforge.net or go to gimp.org for free download).

I first went to Colors -> Hue-Saturation and boosted both the brightness (don't worry about grey blacks) and saturation (to prevent color loss in the next step).

I then went to Colors -> Levels and dragged the blacks to just underneath the first bump (to make black black again), then dragged the center grey slider to the left until satisfied with the lightness of the picture.

Next I used rotate (Tools -> Transform Tools -> Rotate or Ctrl-R) to rotate the image.

Last I used perspective (Ctrl-P or Tools -> Transform Tools -> Perspective) to fix the perspective somewhat.

Hope this helps.

If alright with you I would like to use this image as part of a workshop on photo editing for 4-H.
    Last edited by Sonic4Spuds; 3rd December 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hello,

Thank you all once more.

Clactonian, I'll look for some tutorials and so on for Photoimpression.

Sonic4Spuds, thanks a lot! And sure you can use it. The castle isn't mine hehe and there is no person on the picture so, no problem.

Real Name
    Will

Thanks for the permission and comment. If any other tips are needed for GIMP I will be happy to help, though I might take a while to reply.

with Photoshop:

cambridge-colour.jpg

cambridge in colour.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th December 2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: add image inline

Hi! I wanted to make it realistic, i worked with curves - contrast and colors (used ps4)... and I hope u liked trip here (im from Slovakia)..

Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th December 2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hello,

Gingerbaker, thank you very much as well.
    Zuzana, ďakujem! I had a very nice there in Slovakia =)