Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Benjy seeks C&C

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Benjy seeks C&C

Hi any c&c welcome...taken in my garden today

robin-014.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 30th November 2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Benjy seeks C&C

Hi Bernard,

I move your C&C request here as putting it in the intro thread isn't likely to succeed in getting any feedback.

In fact for your best chances, I would refer you to Posting images for comment

Cheers,

Well, Bernard, as there isn't anything of note in the background I would crop just a little bit tighter to give more emphasis to the robin.

And the snow is a little bit on the blue side, which is a very common problem with snow photography. How you lose that bit of bluish tint will depend on your software; but it will only require a very small adjustment. It is very easy to over compensate for this.

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Bernard. Good clean shot of the Robin there but for me it's to central in the frame and a bit lost with all that dead space. Crop some off the left and top of the image so the Robin is on the top left third and that will give a better composition as the bird is looking into the frame. You've no EXIF available but you should try and get a tight crop with wildlife shots in most case so use the 70-300 and maybe with an extender, though you will lose stop or two with that.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by ascott View Post
    Hi Bernard. Good clean shot of the Robin there but for me it's to central in the frame and a bit lost with all that dead space. Crop some off the left and top of the image so the Robin is on the top left third and that will give a better composition as the bird is looking into the frame. You've no EXIF available but you should try and get a tight crop with wildlife shots in most case so use the 70-300 and maybe with an extender, though you will lose stop or two with that.
    CHEERS ALEX,new to photography,thanks for the tips don,t have a clue why all the dead space as photo taken in my garden just turned out all bluish garden was full of snow

Real Name
    Alex

Bernard, dead space is areas in the image that aren't filled will any that contributes to the overall composition of the shot. In some case it's essential but unless your showing wildlife in it's own environment then I would suggest framing the subject so it was the dominating interest of the shot (ie tight crop)

HTH

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Bernard,

Alex is talking about the 'negative space' when he says 'dead space' i.e. the area where there is no item of interest. He is spot on with his advice - just look at the direction the Robin is looking.

The blue comes from the light being reflected from the sky and your auto White Balance has not corrected fully for it. This just needs a small adjustment to White Balance (if you have it availalbe in your post production software).

This is what the site is all about so keep posting as we all learn from seeing, commenting and reviewing the comments of others. Well done.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Bernard,

Alex is talking about the 'negative space' when he says 'dead space' i.e. the area where there is no item of interest. He is spot on with his advice - just look at the direction the Robin is looking.

The blue comes from the light being reflected from the sky and your auto White Balance has not corrected fully for it. This just needs a small adjustment to White Balance (if you have it availalbe in your post production software).

This is what the site is all about so keep posting as we all learn from seeing, commenting and reviewing the comments of others. Well done.
    Hi PETER/ALEX,thanks for both your advice,as a complete novice I find the tips very helpfull,Cheers

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Hi any C@C welcome,photo taken today,complete novice to photgraphy any tips appreciated

Benjy seeks C&C
    Last edited by Donald; 15th December 2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Image posted inline

Once again, I would crop a little bit tighter; which will make the deer appear larger.

A tiny adjustment of the brightness (I would use Curves) may well give the scene a slight 'lift'. But don't overdo it and watch the sky.

Overall though, an interesting image; particularly with the right hand deer jumping in the air.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Bernard,

Sometimes with shots like this you just got to take them while you can but when you review later I think you often need to crop to get a stronger composition. Here the shot is more portrait than landscape and this will remove a lot of the area that holds little interest and conentrate the viewer onto the deer. I also agree with the comments on adding contrast and some sharpeneing.

Keep posting.