Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Drought has Broken

Real Name
    Peter

The Drought has Broken

The Malmsbury Botanical Gardens is one of my favourite places to shoot – it has the 4 seasons in all their glory. I have so many images of this old (but still in use) rail bridge. The river below is always a trickle because it sits just below a dam wall and water is controlled. There are 3 reservoirs in the chain and this is below the bottom one. Last Christmas the top and bottom reservoirs were empty and the middle was just 30% of capacity.

In the last 3 months rains have filled all reservoirs and the current rains over 5 inches in 48 hours saw quiet an amount of flooding as seen by these two images.

The 10 year drought has broken.

The Drought has Broken

The Drought has Broken

C & C Welcome
    Last edited by Peter Ryan; 30th November 2010 at 01:48 AM.

Real Name
    Alex

Re: The Drought has Broken

Wish we had that weather Peter, I prefer the second image due to the composition. Works better for me though the first is well framed

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks Alex. It is a really funny thing but I have some images of the bridge I really like but only have 4 of the 5 arches. The locals hate them. Any image must have the 5 arches. There is so much rubbish in front of the bridge it is hard to get a clean shot. I was really pleased when the rains came.

Real Name
    Grant

I like the first one Peter. Looks very peaceful. I am no expert so take no notice of my comments if you like but perhaps a park bench of some such thing might have added a bit of foreground interest. By the way, where is Malmsbury Botanic Gardens? I have never heard of it - beautiful spot. Good to see you have had some rain down south but" 5 inches in 48 hours" pshaw! a light afternoon shower

Grant

Real Name
    Kay

just an example of how things have changed down here........finally
    although I do think they should keep some of our water restrictions in place, seems silly now to start wasting it.

The Drought has Broken

Real Name
    Just call me David.

I like both of the pictures, Peter. They work well with your commentary, which is an interesting glimpse of your corner of the world.

Thanks,
    David

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for the chart Kay and you thoughts David. Things are changing here after a very long time.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for the chart Kay and you thoughts David. Things are changing here for the better after a very long time.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by mastamak View Post
    I like the first one Peter. Looks very peaceful. I am no expert so take no notice of my comments if you like but perhaps a park bench of some such thing might have added a bit of foreground interest. By the way, where is Malmsbury Botanic Gardens? I have never heard of it - beautiful spot. Good to see you have had some rain down south but" 5 inches in 48 hours" pshaw! a light afternoon shower

Grant
    Hi Grant,

I have some great shots with a park bench but the locals don't like them because they ony show 4 of the 5 arches. I did choose these two because they were taken for approximately the same location.

What do you mean a light afternoon shower. We are all running around saying how 'Tropical' it is.