Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Saturday's sporting event - Karate

Real Name
    Kay

Saturday's sporting event - Karate

As well as the windsurfing on Sunday - I had a Karate 'grading' on Saturday to attend.
    3 of my club mates were candidates, 1 going for his black belt and 2 close to that level.
    The day started at 11am and they finished at just before 4pm.
    The 'lower grades' had some breaks, when the guy going for his Black Belt was doing exercises above their level.
    He did not get a 'rest' all day, just some drink breaks and they were very quick.
    The final test of the day is 'kumite' or fights against Black Belt exponents who are all fresh and ready to go. 20 fights for 90 seconds each.

The challenge for the Black Belts is to push the candidate to their limit, but not too far, so they cannot go on...

The old venue was great for photos, the new one has windows all along 1 wall, a side entrance with windows opposite plus 2 different sorts of artificial lights.
    Also it is much smaller, so the spectators are closer.

I use my prime lenses to avoid needing flash, but the challenge then becomes getting the DOF accurate on the moving targets....because if they stand still, they end up in a world of pain.

I also this time used the video capabilities on the camera for the first time and have since made the guys a DVD with photos interspersed with some of the movie clips.

So in perspective, these are not sports mag' material, getting the uniforms looking white, without the skin tones 'sallow' (? right word) or too pink was tricky & not achieved as correct every time and I notice, I seem to have a tendency to leave too much head space and chop off feet/ground level in a lot of these (and the Dance night) compositions - so work to do there..

However I was honoured to witness my friend pass the ultimate test in his sport and his family are chuffed with the DVD, so can't be unhappy with that.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Saturday's sporting event - Karate

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    ... and his family are chuffed with the DVD, so can't be unhappy with that.
    And I'm sure he's as chuffed to have this record of an important day in his life.

A good idea, Kay, to put this day together as a DVD incorporating moving and still pictures and provide a documentary of the event.

The last of the set (above) is, I think, very much an action shot. It feels like that moment just before there's an explosive burst of energy ... and all the others looking on know that and feel it as well.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hello,

Very interesting! I practise taekwondo, but I'm really far from blackbelt, I'm just yellow, the second one. And recently I have been thinking how to take good photos of martial arts. What is the best way to take a shot of a 'coup' as you did with the brick-breaker? I mean, if I want to capture a kick in the air, or a punch with the fist hitting the target. Very high shutter speed (how high?) and multiple shots mode?

Thank you =)

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Jonathan
    well done on your belt first of all, I am only second blue - maybe yellow next year...maybe

in answer to your question
    I have the camera on 'burst' or multiple shots for the board break to try to ensure I capture the exact moment.
    I am fortunate with the 7D as it has a very fast frame rate.
    I also have a fast memory card (transfer speed) so the camera's buffer doesn't fill up and slow the maximum burst rate down.
    I use 'fast' prime lenses either 50 1.4 or 85 1.8 for my indoor sports like this, which then gives me a chance to use faster exposure times.
    The ISO can end up at 800 or even 1600 depending on the ambient lighting in the venue - but that's ok
    A degree of blur just in the hands (or feet) I like as it shows action, as long as the person is frozen I am happy.
    Shutter speed not below 1/160 usually.
    1/160 was used for the board break here, but i have checked through others from the day for you - most were 1/200 or 1/320 all ISO 800 and then aperture as required for correct exposure, changing depending on where they were in the room etc.
    I look forward to seeing some of your taekwondo pictures very soon.
    Last edited by wilgk; 22nd December 2010 at 08:38 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

That guy with the glasses is either very good or very brave!

Real Name
    Jonathan

Wilgk, thank you a lot!
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to try it soon, because I'm moving to a different district, so that I'll have to find a new gym to train, and then it will take a time untill my new class become acquainted with me so that I can take pictures of them =). But sure, when I do it, I'll tell you. Arigato!