Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Frenchy!

Frenchy!

This picture was taken in Malaysia (Berjaya Hills) when i went for a holiday. the resort i stayed in captured a french look. That have interest me alot. this picture was the entrance of the resort. Do comment and give me tips for improvement. thank u.

Frenchy!
    Last edited by McQ; 18th February 2009 at 05:45 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Frenchy!

Hi nyinaz,

With this kind of view point, and without filters, the sky is almost unavoidably over exposed.
    If you shot RAW, you might be able to double process to get some detail from it.
    When using monochrome, a little more contrast wouldn't hurt.

Composition is not bad at all, for this as a documentary shot, it's fine.
    However, for a more photogenic image, I might have removed (cloned out) the floodlight and wires under the bridge. Just to simplify the shot.

From this angle, I'm not sure the flower boxes contribute really (they may even be why you chose monochrome, to reduce their impact), but that's how it is and I'm sure they look lovely from the bridge itself.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I agree with Rusty. I'd suggest seeing how it looks with your shadow clipping point brought up a little or - alternatively - darken the shadows slightly with a curve layer.

It's probably a good candidate for the LAB gray scale conversion technique where you discard the A & B channels - duplicate the luminance channel - blend the two using multiply - and then vary the opacity of the top layer to suit.

Overall it's pretty good though - just looks a touch flat.

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 12th January 2009 at 10:22 AM.

thanks people who the great tips. I will try to improve!

It's probably a good candidate for the LAB gray scale conversion technique where you discard the A & B channels - duplicate the luminance channel - blend the two using multiply - and then vary the opacity of the top layer to suit.

I didn't know about that technique, thanks also.

I like the perspective as it really compliments the towers (I'm looking for a word to explain but tired and don't want to say makes the towers look urmm.....towering).

Real Name
    Ian

'Predominance' perhaps?

I would like to see the bottom corner of the right hand tower included in the crop if possible?