Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Yellowstone Coyote

Real Name
    Dave

Yellowstone Coyote

Late October in Yellowstone. Just before the first winter storms. Beautiful winter coat. Using a 400 mm L lens it was almost too close.
    Yellowstone Coyote

Real Name
    Just call me David.

Re: Yellowstone Coyote

Holly smoke, Dave! I have been trying so hard to avoid buying any L glass. Now you've done it!

Seriously ~ well, that was serious too ~ this is a very nice study in Coyote. Accolades to ya. I wonder what she was looking at? Not you obviously, or was she? Do you remember?

D.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Nice Dave,

Only suggestions are;
    I might take 5% of the left hand edge
    I would test to see if if looked any better "Neat Imaged", I'm not convinced it would though, maybe it just needed another level or two on the threshold for USM (if used). To my eyes, tust a hint of noise on background that has become (possibly) sharpened.

Bear in mind that your images are very good to start with and while I might say such things about other pictures, when we're talking about yours, the improvement it'll make is far less - do you know what I mean? If you achieved both the above it would be only 3% better.

Anyway, hope that helps,

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, it was looking at me. I was in my car and the coyote was on the side of the road. I was able to follow it for a while but all I got were side views. Went to look for the wolves in Slough Creek but did not see any. The Biologists were radio tracking some but we never did see any.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Only thing I wondered about was a crop (to the same aspect ratio) but which took the top left thirds intersection to the point on the bridge of the nose midway between the eyes. That does crop it quite tight, particularly at the top.

But, as Dave says, we're starting our C & C from a high point up the ladder. This is an impressive image as it is.

Real Name
    Steve

Awesome shot!! Great colors in the fur. Very beautiful animal.

Real Name
    carmel

Lucky you, I was in yellowstone in Sept and only saw some elk, Great shot.

Real Name
    Richard

Great shot... The Coyote was certainly well fed and had a luxurious coat. There must have been an abundance of rabbits in that area. Was this shot hand-held?

I have a routine that I follow whenever I am driving through remote areas in the Western United States. I always have the longest lens that I have with me attached to my camera and ready to grab at a moments notice. I usually have the ISO set at 400 and the exposure at "P" for panic. This allows me to grab the camera and start firing. Trying to get a camera out of its case, switching lenses and or adjusting exposure will often result in missing the shot.

Quite often, if I am driving along with my wife, she volunteers to hold the camera and long lens in order to hand it to me if I stop for wildlife.

I also have a bean bag close by on which I can rest my long lens when shooting from my car as I stop. Often, wild creatures are not afraid of a vehicle but get spooked when a human figure emerges from the car.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Great shot... The Coyote was certainly well fed and had a luxurious coat. There must have been an abundance of rabbits in that area. Was this shot hand-held?

I have a routine that I follow whenever I am driving through remote areas in the Western United States. I always have the longest lens that I have with me attached to my camera and ready to grab at a moments notice. I usually have the ISO set at 400 and the exposure at "P" for panic. This allows me to grab the camera and start firing. Trying to get a camera out of its case, switching lenses and or adjusting exposure will often result in missing the shot.

Quite often, if I am driving along with my wife, she volunteers to hold the camera and long lens in order to hand it to me if I stop for wildlife.

I also have a bean bag close by on which I can rest my long lens when shooting from my car as I stop. Often, wild creatures are not afraid of a vehicle but get spooked when a human figure emerges from the car.
    Hi Richard,

If alone I tend to have the camera, as you say, switched on and with long lens on, with neckstrap over the headrest of the passenger seat, lens resting on bean bag. All ready to be grabbed and used.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Wow! Excellent shot. I wish you could have included his feet. Love the sharpness and color.

Chuck