Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Unsuccessful Christmas card attempt!

Real Name
    Nicola

Unsuccessful Christmas card attempt!

Hi this is my first post so "hi" everyone.

I am learning so much from my mistakes, so please feel free to be brutal!

I was concentrating on focus and exposure (in between trying to get one or other of the girls to SIT STILL! I don't have a good one of them together!) PP is still a mystery to me - but slowly slowly catchie monkey.

These are my favorites and other than the red being a little bright (I am going to have a play again) they look OK to my untrained eye - but you guys will perhaps see what I am not yet tuned into.

Thanks for your comments in advance.......

Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
    Aperture f/3.2
    Focal Length 85 mm
    ISO Speed 3200

Chocolate face...
    Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
    Aperture f/2.2
    Focal Length 85 mm
    ISO Speed 1600
    Last edited by Illumine; 22nd November 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Re: Unsuccessful Christmas card attempt!

Nicola

You have disabled downloads on Flickr so I can't fix your links to your shots. here are the indirect links.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5135918...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5135918...n/photostream/

Real Name
    Nicola

Eeek - lost already! Tried different variations of link. Where do I need to look?......

Phew - thanks Rob! :-)
    Last edited by Illumine; 22nd November 2010 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illumine View Post
    Eeek - lost already! Tried different variations or link. Where do I need to look?......
    Chill...

1. Go to your Flickr photostream and select the shot
    2. Right click the loaded image and select a size (I picked the largest)
    3. When that loads right click and select 'copy image location' (Firefox) or select properties and copy the url address (IE)
    4. Go back to CiC post and use the 'insert image' icon to paste in the link.

And, as if by magic (but not the mushrooms) the image should appear. Technology - can't live with it, and can't live without it.

I can't do it for you as you have disabled downloads.

Nicola, I do like the second shot but then I go all soppy when I see these youngsters clutching their fluffy animals. My three have stopped all that but my eldest daughters make-up does look like the chocolate after a night clubbing.

The only problem I have with the image is the lack of focus blur on the background. This surprises me since you were shooting wide open. Photographing kids this age is always going to be difficult. It may be an idea to get some bed sheets and drape them over the cushions to give a textured but consistent background. Also get a third person to get the child's attention. I always think youngsters look confused when they see mummy with a couple of grands worth of Canon stuck on her face.

The first shot seems a little flat. You are doing well with the natural light but it may be worth investing in a multi finish reflector...if there is any change left after the 5D mk II.

Nicola

I like #1 very much. The direct eye contact makes for a very intense shot. It's quite like shot #5 HERE which I also found very good. The eyes take it above the level of a snap, in my opinion, as does yours.

Glad you got your links sorted.

Real Name
    Nicola

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    The first shot seems a little flat. You are doing well with the natural light but it may be worth investing in a multi finish reflector...if there is any change left after the 5D mk II.
    I'm sending the girls up the chimneys rather than school, so I have a reflector! Not quite mastered the camera yet though so juggling un co-operative children, a lack of skill AND a reflector - doh! My brain hurts!

Thanks for your comments guys. Here is the eye contact one with noise software run....Unsuccessful Christmas card attempt!