Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The North Norfolk Railway.

Real Name
    Glenn

The North Norfolk Railway.

This is my first time so please be gentile.

Taken at the North Norfolk Railway’s steam gala in July.

nnr.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carregwen; 21st November 2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: image made full size

Re: The North Norfolk Railway.

For me, Glenn, I would have preferred the train to be a couple of feet further back. But I don't suppose the driver would have been willing to accommodate that request!

Otherwise, it looks excellent to me.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by glenng View Post
    This is my first time so please be gentle
    Glenn

We always are! One of the advantages you'll find about being on this forum is you get is constructive criticism. And that's one of the best tools for learning.

I'd go with Geoff and say that the left-hand (right hand as we look at it) front buffer is too close to the edge of the frame.

But ... let's get this in perspective. This is your first post on here, which I take to mean that you consider yourself nearer the bottom than the top of the learning curve. If that is the case, then this is a mighty impressive image.

My compliments on the composition and the conversion. It's got a lovely mood and atmosphere.
    Last edited by Donald; 21st November 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenng View Post
    nnr.jpg
    I've been on this railway, several times. A very nice trip.

If you are shooting like this with a bright sky an ND grad filter is very useful in darkening the bright sky. That in turn will give more exposure to the darker, lower area. I did a quick edit to show the effect it could have. A nice composition, with a good sense of atmosphere. Well done.

The North Norfolk Railway.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Glenn,

That's actually very nice, but I do like this kind of subject

If mine, I wouldn't have cropped quite so tightly; I'd leave, or even make (by cloning), a little more room in front of the loco and also on the left, separate that semaphore arm forom the edge of the frame.

The engine has just got just a touch too close and lens/perspective distortion on the buffer beam and smoke box is just becoming noticeable, but that's a small price to pay for the excellent receding perspective along the length of the train and adjacent track which you have timed to get all in shot and not part hidden.

Well done, a good start I'd say.

Real Name
    Steve

Give it a little perspective correction, mostly horizontal, and you got a classic.

Real Name
    Glenn

Thanks for the feedback as I have only had my camera since July.

My camera (which I inherited from an uncle how passed away earlier in the year)
    A canon EOS500D with a 28 –135mm f/3.5-5.6 is usm and a 70 – 300mm f4 –5.6 is usm lenses, a Manfrotto Tripod and a lowepro camera back pack.

I have no filters or other gadgets at all so some advice will be appreciated nothing-top end price wise please.

You have some reasonably efficiently equipment there. I started with the 28-135 and 70-300 lenses and would fully recommend them.

Although I have recently upgraded to some more expensive alternatives I still keep those lenses for use with my old 10D in situations where I am concerned for the safety of my newer gear. The 300 mm is also a popular lens.

I would consider adding a basic UV or similar filter to those lenses, just to protect the lens glass from damage. Any other filters are only really necessary in special circumstances if you are experiencing problems.