Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some New Images

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Some New Images

I have been very busy and not able to do much photography but I did find time to work on some new techniques and came up with a couple images I'd like to share.

First is COSMIC GIRAFFES...just playing with techniques and images.

Some New Images

Next is THREE PLANETS which is another fantasy picture but interesting in that I made the planets out of a photograph of dirty cement, granite rock and quartz rock. I don't know if you can see the stary sky at this resolution but it's a digital trick also. I think it turned out cool so thought I'd run it up the flag pole.

Some New Images

Chuck

Re: Some New Images

Hi,
    I see the stars,but first is for me the best.
    Radu Dinu

Real Name
    David

Hi Chuck - Nice to see something a bit different. I agree with Radu that the first image is the more appealing. It's quirky with the crossed giraffes and has a generally pleasing composition. I like, in particular, the texture or density variations amongst "the stars" - stars not being evenly spread in the sky. I wonder if the density could be reduced and the size increased. I suspect you are using a random noise generator to produce this illusion, so I think it could be done - more black, slightly bigger plus more saturation could give a better impression. Anyway - just an idea.

David

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Dave and Radu.

So that others can play with this effect here's what I did. The stary sky effect is created by placing a white layer over a black layer then applying a dissolve blend mode on it and reducing opacity to around 4%. This gives larger stars. I then put a new layer below the dissolve layer and merged it and played with the opacity a bit more to make it more realistic in my subjective opinion. Finally I put a layer mask on the stary sky layer and went to FILTER - RENDER - CLOUDS to get the uneven effect.

Have fun.

Chuck

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Chuck

Very appealing imaginative work. That idea of getting the three 'planets' from dirty cement, granite rock and quartz rock is brillaint ... and it really works. Shows what can be done when you can let your imagination wander off into all sorts of places. Not being able to do so to the same extent is, I acknowledge, is one of my limitations.

Both are impressive creations and I wouldn't want to say one is 'better' than the other. The concept behind 'Three Planets' appeals to me more.

However, and this is a matter purely of personal taste, I would like to see it without the three starbursts. They add what I would call, a 'glitziness'. Many/most (?) people will like that. I think that without them, we would get a more sombre, intriguing, tantalising image.

Good to see you pushing at the edges of creativity.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Donald...perhaps it's more accurate to say I'm pushing at the edges of credibility.

Would you believe the star bursts were actually "gleams" I created some time ago following a tutorial from somewhere. They were intended to be a gleam to put in someone's eye for special effect. I have used them only in a humorous way as one doesn't really see real gleams like that. However, I decided I might throw a few in to the night sky to add a touch of depth and drama. They may detract more than they add but I left them in for reference. The image is essentially a play or idea place holder.

Chuck

Chuck
    Last edited by CNelson; 16th November 2010 at 03:18 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Chuck,

Good work. I am with Donald here and I do like the textures and the way you have used light and shadows on the rocks to great effect.