Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: TSE 24 Landscape

TSE 24 Landscape

Deleted - should be in landscapes.
    img_1239hdr2-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by McQ; 16th November 2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    David

Re: Autmn Landscape

I do enjoy the richness of Autumn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Which TSE lens was used for this one?

Glenn

Real Name
    David

Sony Alpha 55mm f5.6 ISO 400

Real Name
    Peter

Re: TSE 24 Landscape

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    Deleted - should be in landscapes.
    Hi Glenn,

I have a particular interest in this shot. I like triangles in composition.

The drama and colour of the sky is great but the way diagonal line of the clouds mirror the diagonal line of the rocks offers great balance. Even the colour tones mirror each other. These two areas create powerful triangles that add great interest to the shot. I see a very good balance of mass and proportion in the image. If the horizon was higher I feel you would have missed this.

Well done.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I do enjoy the richness of Autumn
    Hi David,

I like autumn it is a very special time. The path leading into the shot with a bright highlight at the end just draws you in and the colours are superb. The shop appears a little soft with no specific focal point but it works for me. It has a painterly feel about it.

Well done.

Thanks Ryan.

When I was sitting (yes, sitting on a rock) with the camera on a tripod and composing the shot (I had first taken shots in LS orientation) I turned the camera 90 degrees and with the portrait orientation the triangles became more obvious. So I concentrated on this element and luck was with me - and I have no doubt that my luck was working that day.

Incidentally, the ring embedded in the rock was used by ships circa 150 years ago - before there were any facilities for ships here. The horizon is the Olympic mountains of Washington state Olypmic Peninsula, but with a 24 mm lens and the distance of 20 miles/32 km, they aren't too prominent. They have snow on them year round.

Glenn

i dont get it, a tse lens is a tilt shift lens ?
    and whats the use of a tiltshift in the above pictures?

TSE 24 Landscape

Quote Originally Posted by Vandenberg View Post
    Good question - it's not a well understood lens.

The procedure I use is not that which is normally published on line - I learned the procedure from a fellow member on NatureScapes. The usual procedure is to level the camera, and knowing the camera height above the focus plane, tilt the lens in accordance with some widely published charts.

This is the procedure I use, and while it may seem awkward, after a few outings, it becomes second nature.

1) mount camera on tripod in portrait orientation, and level in both directions.

2) rotate components of lens until both the tilt and shift operate vertically - the knobs for tilt and shift will then be together, and the tilt and shift motions will function on the same axis.

3) focus lens at infinity (farthest rock in my case as focusing on waves may be tricky).

4) using Live View, zoom in to 1:10 size and move view to bottom of screen, and adjust the tilt of the lens until the FG rock are sharp.

5) shift lens downward to reduce the amount of sky and increase the amount of FG. Shifting does not change the focus distances.

For a fairly flat and horizontal focus plane (the rocks and ocean), at virtually any aperture, everything from close to infinity will be in focus. DOF charts are both meaningless and pointless with this lens because with a flat focus plane, everything will be in focus no matter the distance. I've tested it at f/3.5, and the difference between f/3.5 and f/5.6 is hard to detect without really pixel peeping.

I could eliminate the shift, and just angle the camera down to change the composition, but if there were architectural elements in the scene, keeping the camera level and shifting will keep these elements from distorting. Of course using shift will prevent distortion in a landscape scene, but this would not usually be noticed.

This lens attempts to imitate the classic view camera wherein the lens can be angled, shifted, and moved relative to the film/sensor plane.

Tilt is used to adjust the plane of sharp focus, and shift moves the lens parallel to the film/sensor plane which keeps parallel lines of buildings parallel. By angling a camera upward to shoot a cathedral (for example), the building doesn't get smaller at the top.

The whole thing is based on the Scheimpflug Principle.

http://ethanmeleg.blogspot.com/2009/...hift-lens.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...using-ts.shtml

Glenn

I realize I didn't directly answer the question . . . . .

The TS lens will provide a much greater depth of field than a normal lens of the same focal length.

There is a side benefit too - the Canon TSE lens is considerably sharper than most of the other lenses.

The following link is long but informative:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Glenn

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi David,

I like autumn it is a very special time. The path leading into the shot with a bright highlight at the end just draws you in and the colours are superb. The shop appears a little soft with no specific focal point but it works for me. It has a painterly feel about it.

Well done.
    Thank you for your feedback. Every day in every way i am getting better and better

Real Name
    Jacques

TSE 24 Landscape
    Thank you for the lesson. I appreciate. I use this lens but i am earn learning how to ...

Real Name
    Jacques

Do you know if it possible to use this lens withw the new Canon EF 2x II Extender ? It would be less expensive than buying the 90 mm TSE.

Quebec:

I believe it is possible to use an Extender with this lens, but I'll have to check with my local dealer (quite knowledgeable).

The rear lens element of the TSE 24 is about 3/4 inches (20 mm) from the back of the lens at infinity focus, and this increases with closer focus. So the extender probably won't conflict with the lens.

However, because of the superb IQ of the lens, there is not likely any extender that would do the lens justice.

I have a Tamron 2X extender (not very good optics), and it will fit the lens - I just tried it. But this doesn't guarantee the Canon Extender will fit.

The reason I have the Tamron and not a Canon EX, is that the Canon Extender would not fit my 24-105 lens.

Glenn

PS - the Canon Mark III extender will be out in December of this year - normally the newer the extender, the better the optics. Let's hope, because as you said, an extender would be far, far less costly than another lens.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    The TS lens will provide a much greater depth of field than a normal lens of the same focal length.
    Technically the DoF doesn't change - what makes the difference is that one can "re-orient" the plane of focus more towards something you want more DoF with. Sorry if this sounds nit-picky, but I just wanted to make the point that it's not necessarily a "free lunch" in that increasing the apparant DoF in one plane will none-the-less DECREASE it in another plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Quebec View Post
    Do you know if it possible to use this lens withw the new Canon EF 2x II Extender ? It would be less expensive than buying the 90 mm TSE.
    I checked at the camera store this afternoon, but they didn't have the info at hand - will get back to me Monday.

But, it's looking less likely as the front of the Canon extenders sticks out quite a bit.

Glenn