Thread: Canon 250D for my 18-135 Canon Lens? OR the 500D for my 55-250 Canon Lens

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

Canon 250D for my 18-135 Canon Lens? OR the 500D for my 55-250 Canon Lens

I'm so new and trying to teach myself, I don't get the whole lens thing. Part of the main reason why I just bought a Canon 60D was so I could do macro shots. Not sure which or even IF either of these would give me a good place to start w/o running out and buying yet another lens.

Would the Canon 250D fit my 18-135 Canon Lens? OR the 500D for my 55-250 Canon Lens? I think my lens size is a 67mm. But I don't see the 250D or the 500D made in that size. It's limited to like, 58, 72, 77 I think.

I guess that means I use a step-down or step-up resizer thingys. Why do they not make one for 67mm? Seems retarded since I imagine I'm not the only one in the world with a 67mm lens front.

OR -- should I just 86 the whole 250D/500D idea and just buy a real macro lens like this one? They're sooo expensive.

Thanks,
    Marc

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon 250D for my 18-135 Canon Lens? OR the 500D for my 55-250 Canon Lens

I use a 500D on my 70-200. Works OK, but the "500" bit refers to the MAXIMUM focus distance in mm; there's also a minimum focusing distance which is somewhere around 300mm - so everything has to be between 300 and 500mm and then you only get 1/2 macro unless you use a 2x teleconverter (or that's how it worked for me on a FF camera, anyway).

Canon 250D for my 18-135 Canon Lens?  OR the 500D for my 55-250 Canon Lens

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

That's all Greek to me but I tell you now that is GOOORRRR-GEEEEE-OUS picture!! What kind of flower is it? Was the background black like that or did you put it on the black background? WOW -- it's so vibrant it pops me in the eye!

So correct me if I am wrong -- since you used the "500D on your 70-200" then the 500D would work for my 55-250 Canon Lens?
    Thanks Colin. Sorry to be so dumb but we gotta start somewhere =)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Marc,

Sorry - no idea what kind of flower it is - I just picked it from the garden at the time. I put the black background there (it was the black nylon cover from one of my reflectors setup in a makeshift "studio" on the kitchen table).

Sorry - no idea which lenses the 500D is compatible with, although a I have seen a chart somewhere. Have a dig around the net and if you can't find the chart let me know, and I'll have a look for it tonight for you.

Real Name
    Marc Whittemore

So I did it the easy way -- I called to ask a camera sales associate. I just got a great price ($99.) on the 500d that was about $50. less than any other place thru AccessoryCircuit.com -- And if you enter the promo code RED255 you get free shipping too! I don't know if it's Kosher to add that so please feel free to delete this post if you must.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Marc,

Sorry - no idea what kind of flower it is - I just picked it from the garden at the time. I put the black background there (it was the black nylon cover from one of my reflectors setup in a makeshift "studio" on the kitchen table).

Sorry - no idea which lenses the 500D is compatible with, although a I have seen a chart somewhere. Have a dig around the net and if you can't find the chart let me know, and I'll have a look for it tonight for you.