Thread: HELP, how to capture your impression of a view into a picture?

HELP, how to capture your impression of a view into a picture?

During my recent river trekking in Mt. Banahaw, I came upon this pool and like to see it's grandeur through my Olympus Tough 8010. As a point-n-shoot it has it's limitations but it serves me enough not to worry about the gadget in this kind of activities. So let it be, a compact digicam. Despite that, I think there are ways to capture sights like this devoid of what equipment used yet still shows/expresses my impression while in that particular spot. Probably it deals with composition technique... but since whenever an angle of shot changes the impression of the actual picture varies too, and yet the aura of the place remains constant at that moment, is there a trick to capture what is constant in the subject?

I attached 2 pictures of what I'm referring, one with my wife as reference to scale. Clearly in it, there are already 2 moods it convey... the scaled picture approximates the ambiance of the scene. Is there other way how this is done say, in this same spot without adding something for scale? And sadly with a point-n-shoot cam?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bongex; 14th November 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: HELP, how to capture your impression of a view into a picture and shows the same

Quote Originally Posted by Bongex View Post
    During my recent river trekking in Mt. Banahaw, I came upon this pool and like to see it's grandeur through my Olympus Tough 8010. As a point-n-shoot it has it's limitations but it serves me enough not to worry about the gadget in this kind of activities. So let it be, a compact digicam. Despite that, I think there are ways to capture sights like this devoid of what equipment used yet still shows/expresses my impression while in that particular spot. Probably it deals with composition technique... but since whenever an angle of shot changes the impression of the actual picture varies too, and yet the aura of the place remains constant at that moment, is there a trick to capture what is constant in the subject?

I attached 2 pictures of what I'm referring, one with my wife as reference to scale. Clearly in it, there are already 2 moods it convey... the scaled picture approximates the ambiance of the scene. Is there other way how this is done say, in this same spot without adding something for scale? And sadly with a point-n-shoot cam?
    Hi Bongex or would you prefer Ecuacion!

You can try changing your perspective of the shot, either crouch down from where you were or move to a lower location. Or you could also take the shot from where your wife was standing. Each of these optional locations would allow you to capture the swiftness of the water and also show the surrounding rocks from a different view.

Re: HELP, how to capture your impression of a view into a picture and shows the same

Thanks a lot Shadowman. So as I suspect, I need to comb the place for a satisfactory angle or otherwise can be done only with nasty lenses on DSLRs. For a point-n-shoot, does this mean it's not quite possible? As I changed angle, it also shows a different picture, not really as grand as my impression of the place... it lacks the soul factor. The attached pictures was taken right on the spot where you suggested... really there should be a philosophy for doing it with compacts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really love the last shot that you've shared. I love the tunnel of light and that it shows that you're in a shady grotto. Maybe, though, it wasn't the light or the leaves that you were trying to capture.

What was it that you wanted to capture? The water? The rocks? The foliage? The colors? Maybe, a better question is what about them were you trying to capture? Wetness, mysteriousness, coolness, lushness? Sometimes, when I ask myself those kinds of questions, it helps me to figure out what it is about the place that I want to focus on and, then, I get an idea of where to focus or how to capture it. Also, thinking outside of the box helps (which you did a bit of. ) In other words, thinking what angle or spot have I not tried? zoom in, zoom out. bend down, climb up. Crop something out and focus on one element. I'm so surprised, sometimes, when I try something that I don't think will work and that shot turns out to be the best one.

I hope that one of the more experienced guys sees this thread and comes along with some more advice!

Best wishes for lots of fun with your point and shoot!

Thanks a lot Katy, I learn something from your remarks. Indeed when I took the picture you mentioned, I was not thinking of the light but was struck by the thin fog in the foliage. It adds the mysteriousness of the place. Feels like jurassic... To the right of that is the peculiar (compressed) rock wall in the other picture. How I wish I could put both in one box without the distortion of a preset panorama. Like what Shadowman suggested, I should have spent more time in that place for the shot I wanted. There should be 1 perfect angle awaiting to be found. But regretfully, I was in a hurry. It was a dash exploration upstream after a horrifying 24 hour flash flood of this river wherein the flood waters was merely 10 feet away from my tent. http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=732613338

I luv this site. You are very supportive and your views are academic. Thank you for taking notice of my eagerness to learn how to record the world in pictures as we experience it. Yup, I do hope others like you could chip-in some insights too.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th November 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: deleting some words

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think John and Katy have offered excellent advice and I have nothing to add to it.

With a scene such as this it is indeed all about slowing down, studying the scene and deciding what you want to show and how best you could do that, all before you take the camera out of its case.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bongex View Post
    Thanks a lot Shadowman. So as I suspect, I need to comb the place for a satisfactory angle or otherwise can be done only with nasty lenses on DSLRs. For a point-n-shoot, does this mean it's not quite possible? As I changed angle, it also shows a different picture, not really as grand as my impression of the place... it lacks the soul factor. The attached pictures was taken right on the spot where you suggested... really there should be a philosophy for doing it with compacts.
    Bongex,

The only things your Olympus can't do is save in RAW format and give you total control over aperture and shutter speed. You can use the various shooting modes (landscape, fireworks, etc.) to achieve some changes to aperture and shutter speed but you will be limited to the capabilities of the camera. Try a few of the other settings and see how the camera responds. I think you will notice that some of the settings will slow the shutter speed and you won't be able to handhold for every shot. Make use of the timer and exposure control settings when you feel the image is getting washed out or highlights are blown. I think once you outgrow your point and shoot then you will be ready to move on to those nasty interchangeable lenses.

Real Name
    John

Bongex,

Try this website to see what is going on when you use different shooting modes.

http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/digitalcameramodes