Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colour vision (hue) test

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Colour vision (hue) test

I know I have posted this link before, but if you are interested in how good your colour vision is (and frankly your computer equipment and environment play a part here too), you might want to try the test.

I just re-did it (the first time in about 3 years) and I'm happy that much colour vision hasn't changed in the interim as I got the same score as the last time I did it.

http://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Colour vision (hue) test

Manfred, you made my evening. I got a perfect score. Not bad for an old geezer.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Manfred, you made my evening. I got a perfect score. Not bad for an old geezer.
    It's the only time I can remember feeling good when I scored ZERO on a test.

Real Name
    Dave

If I had been the only old geezer to do this test I would have felt quite happy, but .....?

Dave

Real Name
    Robin

Perfect zero which is reassuring as its been a while since I had a colour test having stopped working in a photo lab a few years ago now.

Real Name
    Dan

I have never read that people lose the ability to differentiate color with age, but many do experience a shift in hue, although they might not realize it. I've heard this from people who get cataract surgery--they describe vision in the repaired eye as "whiter" or "less yellow"--and a friend who is an optometrist said this is common. Not surprisingly, given how our brains process color temperature, the people who said this to me had no inkling before this that their color vision had shifted gradually because of the cataract.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I have never read that people lose the ability to differentiate color with age, but many do experience a shift in hue, although they might not realize it. I've heard this from people who get cataract surgery--they describe vision in the repaired eye as "whiter" or "less yellow"--and a friend who is an optometrist said this is common. Not surprisingly, given how our brains process color temperature, the people who said this to me had no inkling before this that their color vision had shifted gradually because of the cataract.
    I have been told by my optometrist that colour vision does deteriorate with age, even without the impact of cataracts.

I've also been told that women tend to have better colour vision than men. My mother knew the owner of one of the largest photo labs in town when I was growing up and was told that in those days, prior to computer controlled printing equipment, the colour operators were all women because to their superior colour vision.

Just to make life even worse for men, we tend to have a larger probability of colour blindness than women. That visual defect is passed down to us through our mothers. So far as I can determine, I'm the only male in my generation on my mother's side who is not afflicted with that issue. One of my cousin's daughters (again on my mother's side of the family) is one of those relatively rare examples of a female with colour blindness, so she received the defective gene from her mother and her father.

Real Name
    Richard Vallon Jr.

I scored a 4 on the test- which is supposedly very very good but not perfect....

My friend and eye doctor has told me I'm a freak of nature. ( yes all photographers should make friends with eye doctors- but still wear your safety goggles).
    Why- I'm not wearing glasses- and barely need reading glasses at age 59. I have read all this and yet at present my vision continues to be as good as it was in college- in HS I was bit near sighted but grew out of that...
    My color vision seems excellent... Now I'm going to get a bit strange on you- I have done a few things like breathing therapies and also a form of one on one counseling whose aim was to allow mental tension to be released. After several of these sessions my color vision became much more saturated- like Technicolor.... most of this effect I have kept over the last 20 years. This is probably an aspect of science that largely unknown- but how much of a role does post processing in the visual cortex play in our perception, and can simple self help psychological processes like Re-evaluative co-counseling play in improving vision. If you look up re-evaluative co-counseling you will read about its founder- Harvey Jackins- who faced numerous sexual misconduct allegations- however the process he invented is simple and safe. I only did this a few years in my 30s but have felt it has been of lifelong benefit. This is not an advert of this process- and BYW no money changes hands the way it is practiced in the US.... However what I experienced was real in the saturation of my color vision so this is why I am sharing this...
    Last edited by richardvallon; 5th December 2017 at 03:26 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by richardvallon View Post
    I scored a 4 on the test- which is supposedly very very good but not perfect....

My friend and eye doctor has told me I'm a freak of nature. ( yes all photographers should make friends with eye doctors- but still wear your safety goggles).
    Why- I'm not wearing glasses- and barely need reading glasses at age 59. I have read all this and yet at present my vision continues to be as good as it was in college- in HS I was bit near sighted but grew out of that...
    My color vision seems excellent... Now I'm going to get a bit strange on you- I have done a few things like breathing therapies and also a form of one on one counseling whose aim was to allow mental tension to be released. After several of these sessions my color vision became much more saturated- like Technicolor.... most of this effect I have kept over the last 20 years. This is probably an aspect of science that largely unknown- but how much of a role does post processing in the visual cortex play in our perception, and can simple self help psychological processes like Re-evaluative co-counseling play in improving vision. If you look up re-evaluative co-counseling you will read about its founder- Harvey Jackins- who faced numerous sexual misconduct allegations- however the process he invented is simple and safe. I only did this a few years in my 30s but have felt it has been of lifelong benefit. This is not an advert of this process- and BYW no money changes hands the way it is practiced in the US.... However what I experienced was real in the saturation of my color vision so this is why I am sharing this...

I got 8 but do not know what that means.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I got 8 but do not know what that means.
    8 means you have very good ability to distinguish hues. If you score 70, that is terrible and if you score zero, you distinguish hues extremely well.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    8 means you have very good ability to distinguish hues. If you score 70, that is terrible and if you score zero, you distinguish hues extremely well.
    Not terrible. Some people may have colour blindness.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Not terrible. Some people may have colour blindness.
    Colour blindness will definitely impact the ability to see hues and someone with colour blindness will unlikely do all that well on this test.

That being said, colour blindness is not necessarily going to impact the quality of ones work, as no doubt you are a living example of this, Donald. The well known American photographer, Joel Grimes is also colour blind and this has not stopped him from making very compelling colour images.

http://joelgrimes.com/

Real Name
    Greg

I'm male, 60, father and brother colour-blind. I got a 0. Have done a similar test before with same result. Shame I'm tone-deaf though ...

Real Name
    George

A few years ago my daughter showed me this picture of a dress. Different people experienced different colors at the same time on the same monitor. I searched it back and it's this dress. Just picked an article.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/02/scienc...s-color-dress/

George

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    A few years ago my daughter showed me this picture of a dress. Different people experienced different colors at the same time on the same monitor. I searched it back and it's this dress. Just picked an article.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/02/scienc...s-color-dress/

George
    Most interesting, thankyou.

Real Name
    John

Thank you for that interesting link Manfred, I shall share with the judges at our Camera club competitions who I’m sure will find benefit from it

Real Name
    AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    If you score 70, that is terrible and if you score zero, you distinguish hues extremely well.
    What do they mean below, in regards to "Gender" score?

Score: 0

Gender Male
    Select Age Range 60 - 69
    Best Score for your Gender -2147483648
    Worst Score for your Gender 2147483647

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by FTQL View Post
    What do they mean below, in regards to "Gender" score?

Score: 0

Gender Male
    Select Age Range 60 - 69
    Best Score for your Gender -2147483648
    Worst Score for your Gender 2147483647
    No idea AJ,

However, I'd be suspicious of those numbers; when a digital system gives negative and positive numbers that are different by 1 (one) in magnitude, it is usually an indication that something has gone out of range in the calculating or display 'engine' of the application (software).

From someone in the same two groups as you
    Dave

PS
    Had it been working properly, and if you could compare (max and mins) Male and Female scores (all other things being equal), you'd probably find them different as I understand that colour deficiencies are far more common in males. That's why they bring gender in to it.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

I scored a 2. I'm 65 years old.
    I did my test on a netbook computer (10" screen).

Real Name
    Greg

I scored a 2 also. Not bad, I think, for 65 year-old male with cataracts and glaucoma. Interesting that the area of the colour spectrum in which my perception appears to be deficient is about the hue in Manfred's model image here Model shoot - Old Paper Mill - Beauharnois, Quebec that I thought was a bit off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast