Thread: Sensor cleaning in the UK - any suggestions

Real Name
    Dave

Sensor cleaning in the UK - any suggestions

My (newish) Panasonic G85 seems to have a mark on the sensor (which I didn't realise at first!)

I don't feel confident in cleaning it myself, can someone suggest where in the UK I could get it cleaned. I assume by sending it away.

Thanks,

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sensor cleaning in the UK - any suggestions

A J Johnstone in Glasgow (http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/). I'm sure they will do a Panasonic as well. They are Canon and Nikon repair agents. I got mine done there before I became brave enough to do it myself.

Real Name
    Yes

There are a number of good companies out the, locally I have Advanced Camera Systems in Watton Norfolk.

However if its oil from the shutter then the retailer/manufacturer are responsible as its a fault and should be dealt with at no cost to you. Remember in the first 6 months in Europe the presumption is that a fault is thier responsibility.

Real Name
    roy

Dave If you have a Wikinson's near you ( I think there's on in Chester or Warrington ) they will do it
    Roy
    ps I mean the camera shop not the hardware store

Sorry they don't have one in Chester. They do in Liverpool, Southport and Warrington
    Last edited by Rent; 28th November 2017 at 10:09 AM.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Dave, I have used both Calumet and Jessops.

One suggestion though.. cleaning the sensor was ok but I had a persistent bit of crud on the mirror and could not blow it away. Jessops did remove it, but in brighter light I noticed some degree of smearing on the mirror.
    It is not enough to be noticeable most of the time, but I have this feeling that I would have put up with the bit of crud had I realised the smearing would occur.

Real Name
    Barry

There's a very good and obliging outfit on the outskirts of the Potteries, PJ Camera Repairs, based at Porthill. But really, consult your camera handbook, acquire a sensor cleaning kit that includes a blower and it's a simple task to go about the procedure.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    But really, consult your camera handbook, acquire a sensor cleaning kit that includes a blower and it's a simple task to go about the procedure.
    +1

Having reached the stage where the sensor was quite filthy, it really had to be cleaned. I was very nervous about doing this but, after watching several helpful YouTube videos showing how to do it, I bought a cleaning kit and followed the instructions. I was surprised how easy it was and, after using two sensor cleaning swabs, the sensor was spotless and working perfectly.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. I still feel nervous about diy, and PJ Cameras are only about a 30 minute drive away, so I think I'll give them a call.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave

Re: A bit strange but good

Before taking this further, I thought to take a few frames just to check - and the mark had gone. I can see it my holiday pics, but not now. Maybe it was a bit of dust that the internal sensor cleaning took care of? I don't know, but I'm happy.

Thanks for all your input and advice,

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    ... but I'm happy.
    And that, at the end of the day, is all that matters!

Real Name
    George

Before taking this further, I thought to take a few frames just to check - and the mark had gone. I can see it my holiday pics, but not now. Maybe it was a bit of dust that the internal sensor cleaning took care of? I don't know, but I'm happy.

Dave
    How did you look at it? Should be something like a white wall, the highest, smallest, aperture and move the camera a little.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dave
    I find running the sensor cleaning cycle 4 or 5 times gets rid of the dust issue well over 90% of the time. After that a "Rocket Blower" tends to work on the rest. While I own an Arctic Butterfly cleaning brush, I've only had to resort to it two or three times over the past 3 or 4 years (across 4 camera bodies) when the other cleaning techniques did not work. I've never had to use a wet cleaning solution.

As George suggests, a low aperture shot of a clean surface (including a blue sky) and then upping the contrast is usually a good check to see if the sensor is clean enough.

Real Name
    Dave

I didn't know about the low aperture (I basically used similar settings to photos that had shown the problem), I photographed a light yellow wall and a grey sky. As well as upping the contrast I took them into Silver Efex Pro and mistreated them there, but could not get anything to show.

The G80 does not have an anti-aliasing filter, and I didn't know what difference that may make to cleaning.

Dave

Real Name
    George

I didn't know about the low aperture (I basically used similar settings to photos that had shown the problem), I photographed a light yellow wall and a grey sky. As well as upping the contrast I took them into Silver Efex Pro and mistreated them there, but could not get anything to show.

The G80 does not have an anti-aliasing filter, and I didn't know what difference that may make to cleaning.

Dave
    The idea behind it is that the smaller the aperture, the sharper the dust on the image. And a bright background so you can see the "un-exposed" area easier. And I move the camera a little so I get less confused with details in the backgound. Blurring the background, doesn't influence the "dust exposure" .

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

No impact at all. The rest of the sensor stack is still there; the Bayer filter, the UV and the IR filters.

Real Name
    Dave

You certainly learn stuff here. Thanks everyone.

Dave

Real Name
    Yes

Beware of the Artic Butterfly if the mark is a grease spot. the brush will smear it, and the brush will also put grease on any sensor you subsequently clean unless you spend a lot of time cleaning it. Many persistent marks are from shutter lubricant.

Real Name
    Dave

Glad you sorted out the problem, Dave or perhaps the problem sorted itself.

I know you said you are not happy about cleaning the sensor yourself but it is a straightforward procedure. There are plenty of guides online. While some, probably many, places will do a good job I have seen 'before' and 'after' shots of sensors where the results were not encouraging.

It also seems most camera shops do not provide a while you wait service so you need to make two visits and the cost for what is probably less than a 10 minute job is high.

Dve