Thread: Return to the recording studio

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Return to the recording studio

A few weeks ago, I photographed a recording session with two members of a local band:

In the recording studio

I returned to the recording studio today to capture the third band member, Nicole, recording the piano tracks. I used a 10" x 36" strip box with my Godox AD-360 flash as my key light. I had a white reflector to the right hand side to throw a bit of light back at the subject. The light was positioned quite close to the subject and I used the rapid drop off of the light to achieve this lighting effect.

Last edited by Manfred M; 27th November 2017 at 03:51 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Return to the recording studio

Whilst they are all technically good Manfred I feel there is something missing in 1 & 2.

For someone playing an instrument in a recording studio I would expect to see effort, concentration and enthusiasm but I don't see or feel that.

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Whilst they are all technically good Manfred I feel there is something missing in 1 & 2.

For someone playing an instrument in a recording studio I would expect to see effort, concentration and enthusiasm but I don't see or feel that.
    I agree and in fact I would say what is missing from all the images that I captured yesterday is that I was unable to get an image that gets an emotional attachment with the viewer. I think that a combination of things have created that situation, but much of that is related to the way that a modern album is cut. plus of course the personality of the performer.

Each of the instruments are recorded individually. The drummer goes first and this lays down the foundation of the beat the others have to follow. The guitar tracks were laid down next and this track had to match the track that the drummer laid down. Finally, the pianist has to lay down a track that perfectly matches what the other two musicians have recorded. Recording the piano appears to take over 2x as long as the other two tracks to try to get every note perfect and meshing with the other performers. The whole process seemed rather mechanical, rather than spontaneous.

I shot for about 5 hours and what really struck me was the sameness between the images created at the beginning of the session when compared to the ones done later on. The pianist was concentrating heavily on what she was hearing over her headphones and her expressions were almost "trance-like". There was little emotion or showmanship. I had only met the pianist once before very briefly and think what I have captured does match her demeanour and personality.

I'm going to discuss this with the band members.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Note the points above and also agree that the emotional attachment seen at, for example, at a live event, is missing. That apart, these are superb images. The lighting is excellent.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The pianist was concentrating heavily on what she was hearing over her headphones and her expressions were almost "trance-like". There was little emotion or showmanship.
    That explains it all, Manfred. What you caught is a musician totally concentrating on what has been recorded in order to add the piano track in perfect sync. It's not a live performance where an emotional attachment with the audience (and conductor) is vital.

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks for that explanation Manfred.

Looking at 1 & 2 again, in both shots I'm wondering if there were greater attachment between the fingers and the piano keys it would help, e.g. some keys clearly pressed down?

The "emotional attachment" aspect is not going to be with the viewer (audience) as there are none there, but this may improve it more between artist and instrument.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 27th November 2017 at 10:45 PM.

Real Name
    Janis

Interesting observations regarding the emotive aspect. I do think #1 is quite lovely, though, and the lighting is very nice.