Thread: Wife and daughter

Real Name
    Mike long

Wife and daughter

Wife and daughter to

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Wife and daughter

Great tones and a nice sense of gentleness and caring. However I would far prefer a crop without any sky.

Real Name
    Mike long

Think so?? I contemplated that for about an hour. Thanks will give it a go.

Real Name
    Bill

I agree with Paul.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Evertking View Post
    Think so?? I contemplated that for about an hour. Thanks will give it a go.
    I realise that the tree tops and sky help portray the setting but I feel the benefit is so slight compared to the distraction it causes that the photo would be better off without them.

Real Name
    John

I actually prefer the sky in the composition, I know it can be seen as a distraction but for me it adds a bit more danger/eeriness even though that is probably not what you wan to convey. Even without the sky, the thickets hold a bit of mystery and concern for me as if this location is not exactly friendly; nicely done.

Real Name
    Jagmeet Singh

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Great tones and a nice sense of gentleness and caring. However I would far prefer a crop without any sky.
    I agree with you. Great click.

Real Name
    Bill

Another view ... literally!

The image did not show as a letterbox crop the first time I saw it. Having now viewed the original correctly the sky looks fine. Having said that, I wonder if you'd like to try a 3x4 crop and see what you feel about the result Mike? Try it portrait and landscape style, with some space to the right in the latter.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

If this were mine Mike,

Aside from crop discussions, I think I would spot heal the white spots (midges or seed/spores?).
    Going back to the crop; I do prefer this without the sky, but I'd also take just a tad off left hand edge too, losing only the "J" of your logo.

My instantaneous thought on first seeing it was 'that's too wishy-washy' - I felt it needed a definite black point somewhere. However, I have not viewed it on a histogram, nor tried wiggling the overall black point, which I fear might not achieve a good result, so it may be that what you have here is the best for this scene.

I do like the colour tie of the grey wrap/blanket around your wife and your daughter's grey cardigan. Also your wife's hair and the grasses balance in the composition too.

Being impracticably pedantic, I had to zoom in to try to figure out what the brown thing was on the far side of your daughter's face - turns out it's a leaf she's holding/chewing - it attracted far more of my attention than it should, but at moments like these, I've no doubt it was a blessing to keep her relatively still and in one place while you shot.

Hope those musings are helpful,
    Dave

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Another view ... literally!

The image did not show as a letterbox crop the first time I saw it. Having now viewed the original correctly the sky looks fine. Having said that, I wonder if you'd like to try a 3x4 crop and see what you feel about the result Mike? Try it portrait and landscape style, with some space to the right in the latter.
    I must agree. The sky is less intrusive when the photo is viewed full screen. Strong compositions tend to work well in all sizes but not always.