Thread: Picture

Real Name
    Mike long

Picture

Picture

Real Name
    John

Re: Picture

Nice effort, a bit too much blur in the wrong places.

Real Name
    Bruce

Mike, nice photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

+1 to John's comments. The soft focus does not look quite right.

I'm not sure about your pose either; you are shooting flat on and having your subject at an angle to the camera is generally going to give you a more attractive image. The same goes for the hand positioning; angling them a bit will result in a more delicate look. The 135 focal length looks appropriate for this type of image.

Real Name
    Javier Ramirez

Nice shot¡¡¡

Real Name
    Jagmeet Singh

Nice click. Great effort in editing.

Real Name
    Philip

Does the image need quite so much of the background? Perhaps a square or even a 4:5 portrait crop? I would also clone out the two iron nails embedded in the side of her right thumb.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Richard

I think that Cheyenne's face is very lovely in this image (in fact IMO this shot of her face is the best yet) but, her pose makes her look a bit chunky. I think that her blouse adds to the chunky look. Perhaps turning her torso around a bit might be the trick...

However, the flat of a ladies hand is never flattering...

I played with this image. making it into a head shot, cloning out the hand and the OOF fence post directly behind her as well as cloning out the trace of garment she is wearing beneath the back blouse (neck of blouse, image right side)...

IMO, this resulted in a lovely head shot of a beautiful lady...

Picture
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 19th November 2017 at 05:13 PM.

Real Name
    Javier Ramirez

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I think that Cheyenne's face is very lovely in this image (in fact IMO this shot of her face is the best yet) but, her pose makes her look a bit chunky. I think that her blouse adds to the chunky look. Perhaps turning her torso around a bit might be the trick...

However, the flat of a ladies hand is never flattering...

I played with this image. making it into a head shot, cloning out the hand and the OOF fence post directly behind her as well as cloning out the trace of garment she is wearing beneath the back blouse (neck of blouse, image right side)...

IMO, this resulted in a lovely head shot of a beautiful lady...

Picture
    Richard..Could you explain the post procesing of the crop pic? I love these colors.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi again Mike,

It is easy for me to criticise and I don't suggest that I'd produce anything this good myself.

The things that attract my attention are;
    The hands are both at same height on opposite sides of the body (e.g. I've heard it said that one up, one down is often better)
    They are also two things that are brighter than her face - because of their angle and light falling on them (so they compete with her face) - you need to minimise their surface area as seen by the lens
    The two sharp nail heads in the V shape formed by her right hand and shoulder are very unfortunately positioned - given the amount of PP you do, I wonder why you didn't clone these out
    In the larger frame, the nails behind are a bit less bothersome, but if going in tight as Richard's crop did, then I agree that the nails and post behind should go too.
    As should that reddy/brown bit of strap showing on her left shoulder (also dealt with by Richard).
    I agree with Manfred/Richard about her body angle to camera, it's too 'square on' to be flattering.

You are making steady improvement over the weeks/months and I always look forward to viewing your pictures (and reading the critiques to see if they agree with my assessment, as a learning exercise for me).

I'm being very pedantic here, forgive me - it's easy to be wise after the event and with time to assess without time pressures when shooting.

On the positive side - I definitely like the 'engagement' of her eyes with the camera, that's something that was lacking for quite a while.

Keep going,
    Dave