Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male Portrait VI

Real Name
    Bruce

Male Portrait VI

C&C welcomed. This pic was shot using an on-camera flash positioned at a about 45 degrees to camera right, pointed at the ceiling. It was shot @ 1/125, f5.6 with an ISO of 400. The focal length of the lens was 70mm. Both the camera, and flash (full power) were set on manual. I believe the flash was set on manual at this point.
    A Black Foamie Thing (BFT) was used to block any light from the flash hitting the subject directly.
    In my next experimentation I plan to a reflector on a stand as opposed to the ceiling.
    I realize that the crop is to tight; however I was dealing with a cluttered background again. Bruce

Male Portrait VI
    Last edited by Digital; 14th November 2017 at 11:51 PM.

Real Name
    George

Re: Male Portrait VI

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    C&C welcomed. This pic was shot using an on-camera flash positioned at a about 45 degrees to camera right, pointed at the ceiling. It was shot @ 1/125, f5.6 with an ISO of 400. The focal length of the lens was 70mm. Both the camera, and flash (full power) were set on manual. I believe the flash was set on manual at this point.
    A Black Foamie Thing (BFT) was used to block any light from the flash hitting the subject directly.
    In my next experimentation I plan to a reflector on a stand as opposed to the ceiling.
    I realize that the crop is to tight; however I was dealing with a cluttered background again. Bruce

Male Portrait VI
    That "Black Foamie Thing" did do a wonderful job. Can you explain a bit more how you did it?

George

Real Name
    John

You kept most of the glare off the lenses but also made the eyes dull without any reflection. Nice effort.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I don't know if your software allows for selections and whether you feel comfortable with them, but by using selections you could isolate the existing background to make it better, or substitute another background.

Real Name
    Richard

In addition to Donald's comment above, to could also use the clone stamp tool (or whatever your editing program uses) to simply stamp over things like calendars, clocks, pipes, and signs on the walls...

If you were allowed to, this type of background would be easy to use on a stand...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Sided-Fol...AAAOSwbtNZ8HKi

As a less expensive alternative a reflector might also work as a background...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neewer-5-in...0AAOSw3ydVykdd

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The shot is rather dull and lifeless. There simply is not enough light getting into your subject's eyes to give them that sparkle that they need. You have done a reasonably good job in controlling reflection in the glasses (there is one small spot that looks like it may be a reflection of at window on the camera left lens), but the tradeoff is that there is not enough light in the eyes.

The BFT corrects one problem, but introduces a second one; no catch lights. One could try to paint them in at PP.

Male Portrait VI

Real Name
    George

What if this was a photo without flash?

George

Real Name
    Sharon

I like this mans expression, there is subtle emotion there. All his wrinkles tell of a life lived. Yet, as others have mentioned, I'd love to see those eyes. The eyes are what tell the story

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I appreciate your reason to restrict the background Bruce, but I really think you're going too far and compromising the subject - I feel that having his ears touching the edge of frame draws attention to them.

A slightly less severe crop and learning to use the clone tool to deal with anything untoward this introduces, is a valid approach these days, although some may disagree.

A possible fix when shooting ...

If you're struggling to place a subject of a certain size between two things either side in the background*, if you can, step back a yard or so yourself and shoot using a slightly longer focal length (or crop in PP) to achieve a framing that excludes the background elements, but isn't so 'tight' on the subject as above.

* and assuming the subject and background are effectively in fixed positions

HTH,
    Dave

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks to everyone who viewed, and commented. Manfred, keep instructing me.
    George - If you can access YouTube. Go to that site, and under search type Neil van Niekerk video titled "Black Foamie Thing". This video will show you how to set it up, and use it.

I added more exposure to the eyes, and redid the crop. Let me know what you think.

Male Portrait VI

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

+1 to Dave's suggestions - I would definitely clone out the dark area on the left and remove the reflection on the glasses. If you are into creating a more complex mask, then the material above your subject's head should go too, but cleaning up areas with hair involved is definitely a challenge if you want to keep the texture of the hair.

That being said, I think you are seeing the limitations of bounce flash even with the BFT. Glasses are definitely a fixture on the faces of older folks, and unfortunately the lenses end up being great reflectors...

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I appreciate your reason to restrict the background Bruce, but I really think you're going too far and compromising the subject - I feel that having his ears touching the edge of frame draws attention to them.

A slightly less severe crop and learning to use the clone tool to deal with anything untoward this introduces, is a valid approach these days, although some may disagree.

A possible fix when shooting ...

If you're struggling to place a subject of a certain size between two things either side in the background*, if you can, step back a yard or so yourself and shoot using a slightly longer focal length (or crop in PP) to achieve a framing that excludes the background elements, but isn't so 'tight' on the subject as above.

* and assuming the subject and background are effectively in fixed positions

HTH,
    Dave
    I don't understand the above. Could you explain?

George

Real Name
    Kindaichi Shota

I really like this picture Also wonder what the photo will be like without flash and take a bit further away?

Real Name
    Bruce

Manfred, I now realize that there is a trade off using Neil van Niekerk' s method; however I do like the look he gets in his subjects. So, I will stick with this method for now.
    I will continue to practice, and hopefully improve my portraits.

KindachiShota - thanks for viewing, and commenting.

Bruce

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I don't understand the above. Could you explain?
    I'll demonstrate the principles George, but it'll have to be tomorrow night - and with 'still life' rather than a portrait.

Real Name
    Bruce

This portrait was shot in manual, both camera, and flash (full power). The flash head was pointed at a 45 degree angle towards the ceiling while pointed at a 90 degree angle from the camera position. The BFT was used. In this shot I managed to get catchlights in the eyes of the subject. Also, there is a more distinct shadow on the subject (camera left) emphasizing more of short lighting than the previous photo.
    C&C most welcomed. Bruce
    Male Portrait VI

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Manfred, I now realize that there is a trade off using Neil van Niekerk' s method; however I do like the look he gets in his subjects. So, I will stick with this method for now.
    I will continue to practice, and hopefully improve my portraits.

KindachiShota - thanks for viewing, and commenting.

Bruce
    I don't see him using that technique a lot for headshots and a subject who wears glasses...

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I don't see him using that technique a lot for headshots and a subject who wears glasses...
    I agree.

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

This portrait was shot in manual, both camera, and flash (full power). The flash head was pointed at a 45 degree angle towards the ceiling while pointed at a 90 degree angle from the camera position. The BFT was used. In this shot I managed to get catchlights in the eyes of the subject. Also, there is a more distinct shadow on the subject (camera left) emphasizing more of short lighting than the previous photo.
    C&C most welcomed. Bruce
    Male Portrait VI
    Shooting on manual is fine, but you have to nail the exposure. This shot is definitely underexposed a by a bit.

The eyes are looking better but could use a bit of dodging. If you are going to crop the head, make it look like you meant it, rather than that it happened by accident; just don't cut below the hairline. I think a bit more neck would probably be useful too. Reducing the shiny areas of the forehead and nose would help. I'm not sure if all that negative space on the left and right are adding to the composition.

Male Portrait VI

Real Name
    Bruce

Manfred, increased exposure about 1/3, dodged the eyes about 2/3 exposure. Played around for a better crop-definitely needed more practice with clone tool in LR.
    Thanks for the C&C. Bruce
    Male Portrait VI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast