Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shutter Count

Real Name
    Richard

Shutter Count

Will shooting video reflect on the shutter count of a Canon 5D Mark iii. In other words, if a 5D3 has been only used for video and has an amazingly low shutter count, are there any other areas of this camera which might be suspect from the point of view of wear?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Shutter Count

You will get one shutter / mirror actuation when you switch the camera into and out of LiveView mode. From a mechanical standpoint, these are the parts of the camera most likely to wear out.

If you shoot with autofocus and auto aperture control, these elements (in the lens) are going to see some use as well. The screen on the back of your camera and sensor are going to heat up, but as both were designed to, there really is nothing to worry about, unless you are shooting on a very hot day. I had seen reports of these components overheating, which can shorten their life, but unfortunately no specific data and this was some time ago when video functionality on a DSLR was a bit of a novelty. I expect that the designers will have considered this on a more modern camera.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Shutter Count

Thanks Manfred...

I am going to keep my 5D Mark ii, since I use it mostly for portraits at relatively low ISO levels (100-320). From everything I have read about the comparison between the 5D2 and 5D3, the IQ in the lower ISO areas is not much different.

I have the 7D2 for sports and other action shooting.

I am getting too old for more GAS purchases...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th November 2017 at 04:17 PM.