Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Time for a change - reloaded!

Real Name
    E. James

Time for a change - reloaded!

Recently my thoughts concerning a digital scale and reference (perhaps GUI) for focus was so well received that I thought I would add an obvious extension to the idea. A simple scripting language APP for DSLRs would allow the user to program a camera for automatic response including exposure options, timing, face recognition, number and timing of exposures, focus, and the like. The script could be uploaded from any iPad (or similar) wireless (on newer cameras). This would greatly expand the serviceability of high resolution DSLRs for security, photography, cinematography and other applications. So our cameras would be programmable and be fully functional without need for constant monitoring. And, rather than setting individual menu items, a script could be saved in the menu and applied like a macro.

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Time for a change - reloaded!

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    So our cameras would be programmable and be fully functional without need for constant monitoring.
    I'm totally confused with that comment Ed

What do you men by "constant monitoring"?

My cameras pretty good, it always seems to do what I have told it and if it has not done what I expected 99.999999% of the time it's due to me

Real Name
    E. James

With a good scripting language I could program the camera to turn on at 8:00 am, take one photograph every three seconds every time it recognizes a face, reformat the memory card every time it approaches 90% full, and turn itself off at 100:00 pm.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    With a good scripting language I could program the camera to turn on at 8:00 am, take one photograph every three seconds every time it recognizes a face, reformat the memory card every time it approaches 90% full, and turn itself off at 100:00 pm.
    Whilst I'm all for innovation I do not see this idea as one that would be wanted by many DSLR users.

Real Name
    Dan

So by reformatting, it would automatically delete a lot of uninteresting photos. I can see the utility of something like this for monitoring parking garages or banks, but I wouldn't have the slightest interest in any of these features for my own photography. I'm looking to improve what goes on in the 12 inches (sorry, everyone not in Myanmar or the US: 30 cm) behind the viewfinder--to paraphrase Ansel Adams--which is where most of my photographic failures arise. I'm not going to improve that by handing over control to automation. I haven't even used P mode in years.

Real Name
    John

Scripting languages do exist for some SDLRs, as well as many Canon non-DSLRs. What they have in common is that they do not work if th camera is turned off, so how can they be programmed to turn the camera on? What you are suggesting is like the functionality of CCTV cameras or Trail cameras.

John