Thread: Lightroom 6 update hijacking

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Lightroom 6 update hijacking

There have been two reports of an update for LR6 uninstalling LR6 from their computer and installing a CC subscription program. In order to restore they have had to subscribe to a 7-day free trial.

If this is not just an accident I think Adobe may need to be prepared for a class action. It certainly is becoming a company I would be loath to deal with.

"Anybody using Lightroom 6 stand alone version beware if the Adobe Download manager indicated that you have updates. I ran the update last night and the update decided to uninstall my Lightroom 6 and and install Lightroom CC. If you then try to log into Lightroom it now demands a Subscription or a 7 day trial, thus preventing you from getting your images."

" Yep sneaky sods... same happened to me ... been waiting for an update to LR6... it finally arrived NOT... hit update and I'm now a $17.56/ month contributor... for Classic CC... at least Dehaze is built in now"
    Last edited by pnodrog; 25th October 2017 at 04:29 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Lightroom 6 update hijacking

Might be a matter of not paying attention to what the updater was actually doing, those annoying popups aren't there for nothing and they do warn you "program wants to make a change", computer systems the last 10 years have been becoming annoyingly intuitive to your needs and probably thought the user wanted to spend more money for something they didn't need.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Might be a matter of not paying attention to what the updater was actually doing, those annoying popups aren't there for nothing and they do warn you "program wants to make a change", computer systems the last 10 years have been becoming annoyingly intuitive to your needs and probably thought the user wanted to spend more money for something they didn't need.
    Yes, I tend to think if they read carefully before they pressed continue it may have been avoided. Just thought I would bring to everyone's attention and hope it may prevent someone else getting caught out.

Real Name
    Richard

My assessment of Photoshop, Bridge, Camera RAW and Lightroom: GREAT PROGRAMS FROM A CRAPPY COMPANY

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    My assessment of Photoshop, Bridge, Camera RAW and Lightroom: GREAT PROGRAMS FROM A CRAPPY COMPANY
    Definitions of "crappy company" can differ. Of course, I first learned to hate Adobe with the heat of a thousand suns for what they did to Frame and FrameMaker. But that's a different story.

As an Lr standalone user who really wishes I could just get Lr 7, and having been frustrated at their deliberate withholding of new features only for CC, I really do get where all the hate is coming from.

But on the other hand, as a shareholder, I get why they did it (and no, this decision wasn't on the last shareholder ballot. They don't bring things like that to the shareholders). And honestly, if I were an Adobe employee? I'd probably be pretty damn happy over the decision. Because regular income that pays for a regular paycheck is a good thing. Note that the first version of the CC subscriptions launched in 2013.

Lightroom 6 update hijacking

Also, as soon as I saw the announcements of end-of-life of the standalone version, I ran to my copy of Lr6 and did an update, so that if I buy a new camera that exists at this time, I could still put off moving to CC . No forcing of CC trial. And I went from v6.3 to 6.12. [facepalm].

Also the CC trial period will end. Chances are good, you just land back in the standalone Lr6, but more discontented, because you've had a taste of all the newer features the CC version's had for a while (like filtering on file type for import... Man, I want that one, as I regularly shoot RAW+JPG). I remember them forcing me to the CC trial period with the Lr5 -> Lr6 upgrade. This is not a new tactic or one we haven't seen before. It's disconcerting, but nobody forces you to pay for or move to the subscription.

But, basically, until a new camera forces me to pay the Photoshop tax, I'm probably just sticking with my Lr6 standalone as long as I can before moving to CC. And who knows? Maybe I'll get used to using the DNG converter. Hell I'm still using Photoshop CS5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by inkista; 25th October 2017 at 07:01 PM.