Thread: Uninstalled Lightroom 5.7

Real Name
    Ole

Uninstalled Lightroom 5.7

I have just uninstalled my Lightroom 5.7. It did not appear to be working. Now I cannot get it back Any suggestions?
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    George

Re: Uninstalled Lightroom 5.7

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    I have just uninstalled my Lightroom 5.7. It did not appear to be working. Now I cannot get it back Any suggestions?
    Cheers Ole
    Did you pay your latest bill??

Serious. Start with telling what you've done and what happens when doing so. Not that I can be of help but nobody can answer your question if you don't inform them more.

George

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Call Adobe tech support, tell them your problem, and let them fix it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

First of all I would be rather surprised if Adobe still offers any support on Lightroom 5. Lightroom is up to version 7 now, and most software suppliers do not support software that is "obsolete".

I assume you have tried to reinstall it? Sometimes the installer does strange things after an uninstall / reinstall unless you power your machine down and restart it before attempting to reinstall the software. I find that this often works.

Real Name
    Dan

Did you pay your latest bill??
    Lightroom 5.7 is not subscription software.

My hunch is the same as Manfred's. The perpetual-license version of LR is at version 6. They may not support 5.7, and it may not be worth paying for an upgrade to 6, as Adobe just announced that they are not going to continue supporting it in the future. They are only going to support the subscription versions. In fact, I couldn't even find version 6 when quickly looking at their website.

However, it's worth a call. The worst they can do is say no.

My experience with Adobe support has been better than Richard's, but still, I would suggest calling when you have lots of time. The few times I have had to call them, they managed to fix what was broken, but one time it took a very long time on the phone. They also sometimes ask to take control of your computer remotely, so as a precaution, I would have nothing at all running other than their software when calling.

Good luck.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

If you're using Windows 10, then you're probably out of luck.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/sy...emrequirements

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticitizen View Post
    If you're using Windows 10, then you're probably out of luck.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/sy...emrequirements
    I'd have to disagree. If the software runs on Win 8.1 it will run on Win 10.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

I was not clear enough. Yes it might run, I did not say it will not. What I meant is that Adobe has no obligation at all to support the user at all when she or he is using an operating system other than the ones they explicitly support.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I'd have to disagree. If the software runs on Win 8.1 it will run on Win 10.
    Yep, I have LR 5.7 running on my wife's laptop with windows 10 . Well it did until the 30 day trial was up but that's OK we are back from the holiday.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticitizen View Post
    I was not clear enough. Yes it might run, I did not say it will not. What I meant is that Adobe has no obligation at all to support the user at all when she or he is using an operating system other than the ones they explicitly support.
    Microsoft is on record that anything that runs on Win 8.1 will run on Win 10. That's the way Win 10 was designed. This is a MS not Adobe issue.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Microsoft is on record that anything that runs on Win 8.1 will run on Win 10. That's the way Win 10 was designed. This is a MS not Adobe issue.
    I'd love to see where Microsoft wrote that unqualified statement. They have compatibility mode but as far as I know their engineers never guarantee that every single program will still run fine and dandy.

Personally my team has tens of PowerShell 2 scripts, still work perfectly on Windows 8, that will probably not work so well anymore on the upcoming update of Windows 10. When I was a student I wrote a program utilizing a technology called "TCP offload engine" whose support will be completely removed on the next update. So, no, not all programs that run on Windows 8 will run on Windows 10.

Finally, I wrote in my last post that, "Adobe has no obligation at all to support the user at all when she or he is using an operating system other than the ones they explicitly support". This is a standard procedure, my own company also has the same stance for our own applications. Reading your post, I'm not sure if you refuted this point or not.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Leo - when MS rolled out Win 10; part of their communications package was that everything that worked with Win 8.1 would run on Win 10. Based on the aggressive rollout they used to "convince" people to do the "free upgrade", this would have been the only way to accomplish this. I have not heard of any significant issues with the migration. If I recall correctly, the upgrade to Win 10 included Win 8.1, Win 8 and Win 7.

From a legal standpoint, I fully understand the disclaimers. I do remember having to update my OS previously for this reason; the upgraded Premiere Pro would not run on and older OS. Same thing applies to some of the CC packages (I run the whole suite, not just the Photoshop / Bridge / Lightroom applications); they are only compatible with Win 10 and will not install on a Win 8.1 machine.

I cannot confirm Ole's Lightroom 5.7 as I'm running the CC versions and Adobe appears to have disabled installing the old apps (my Adobe Encore was one old application I was using occasionally and it seems to have disappeared).

That being said, Paul has noted that he had LR 5.7 running on Win 10, so at least one member can confirm this.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Manfred,

I do not dispute at all that Lightroom 5 can still run on Windows 10. I am merely saying that if Ole contacted Adobe to ask for their support, he might be ignored because that particular operating system is not on their system requirements page. When our customers inquire about using our applications on unsupported operating systems, our first response would be "not within specification" (while scrambling in the background to find out what is happening ).

Real Name
    Ole

I discovered a 'free gift' from a photographic dealer that I did not know I had. Problem is now solved. Working fine on Win 10.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    I discovered a 'free gift' from a photographic dealer that I did not know I had. Problem is now solved. Working fine on Win 10.
    Cheers Ole
    Beside not knowing the problem, I don't know the solution.

George