Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Samsung Chromebook PLUS

Real Name
    Richard

Samsung Chromebook PLUS

My wife needs a new Chromebook. Her eyesight is deteriorating and the rather dull and not very sharp display on her present older Acer Chromebook is causing her problems...

We have ordered her a Samsung Chromebook Pro because it has the best display for her vision. We went to Best Buy to look at the Samsung Chromebook Pro but, they did not have a Chromebook Pro and only had a Chromebook Plus model. Since the display on both units are identical. we decided to purchase the Chromebook Pro from B&H in New York City,

Since we would have had to pay an 8% California Sales Tax on the Chromebook Plus from Best Buy, and since there was no tax from B&H plus the shipping was free, the bottom line price of the Pro from B&H was just slightly above the price of the Chromebook Plus from Best Buy.

On my recent trip to South Carolina, I used an older ASUS C202 Chromebook to download my Canon 7D2 images from my CF card to an external hard drive via a USB3 CF Card reader. The setup worked quite well and I was even able to view the images once they were downloaded.

The Chromebook Pro is significantly more powerful than is my ASUS C202 and I would expect that the speed of download will be shorter. The increased crispness of the Chromebook Pro display will also allow me to get a better view of my images...

We do need to get a USB-C hub in order to use the various USB devices that we already own such as memory sticks, external hard drives and the memory card reader...

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Samsung Chromebook PLUS

I'd never really considered a Chromebook but you've given me something to think about. I've always traveled with a laptop but the one we currently have is acting flaky so we're about to head off to Europe with only a tablet and phone. Going old school and printing out all of our reservations etc. One downside of this route is that I won't be able to do anything with my photos. I've always discounted Chromebooks due to no hard drive space but transferring directly to external media never really occurred to me. Something to consider in future.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Since I am often away from network access, I prefer a fairly high power processor with a fair amount of disk space.

I replaced my old Toshiba with a much lighter and compact Asus Zenbook with a 256GB SSD (Win 10) Intel I7 and carry a LaCie hardened 2TB USB drive with me.

I can transfer the data from my camera to the laptop and immediately duplicate the files to the USB Drive.

Zenbook https://www.amazon.com/UX330UA-AH54-...s=asus+zenbook
    Drive https://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Rugged-.../dp/B0058VIWTM

Real Name
    Richard

We have just received the Samsung Chromebook Pro and the screen quality is outstanding. Judy is very happy because the extra sharpness, contrast and brightness really helps her read the screen since her vision has deteriorated (she is being treated for retina bleeding).

I opened one of my smugmug.com images on the Samsung and the same image on my Asus C202 and the quality difference was remarkable. They weren't even in the same ballpark