Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Joao Silva: ‘Acting Despite Fear’

Real Name
    António Correia

Joao Silva: ‘Acting Despite Fear’

João Silva is a Portuguese photo reporter.
    Read his interview here
    Here is one of his pictures from Lens

You said Rembrandt ?

Joao Silva: ‘Acting Despite Fear’
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 26th October 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Real Name
    David

Re: Joao Silva: ‘Acting Despite Fear’

Hi Antonio - I had seen in one of our papers that a photographer had been badly injured in Afghanistan. I hadn't realised that he was a Portuguese compatriot of yours. Your post is a timely reminder of the dangers faced by photo journalists in hostile environments. For what small benefit there may be I am sure that we at CiC all express our sympathy to and admiration for Joao Silva and wish him well for recovery and the future.

Regarding Rembrandt, I have been one to invoke his name in at least one of these threads and posts. The image shown is a brilliant example of how Rembrandt would probably have handled such an image: white balance, toning and limited palette, deep shadows and very bright highlights, let alone dramatic composition, narrative, and concealed religious context.

David

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi Antonio - I had seen in one of our papers that a photographer had been badly injured in Afghanistan. I hadn't realised that he was a Portuguese compatriot of yours. Your post is a timely reminder of the dangers faced by photo journalists in hostile environments. For what small benefit there may be I am sure that we at CiC all express our sympathy to and admiration for Joao Silva and wish him well for recovery and the future. Regarding Rembrandt, I have been one to invoke his name in at least one of these threads and posts. The image shown is a brilliant example of how Rembrandt would probably have handled such an image: white balance, toning and limited palette, deep shadows and very bright highlights, let alone dramatic composition, narrative, and concealed religious context. David
    Many journalists risk their lives in war scenarios.
    I am sorry for my compatriot and for all the others to whom these accidents happen.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Many journalists risk their lives in war scenarios.
    I am sorry for my compatriot and for all the others to whom these accidents happen.
    http://artvoice.com/issues/v6n33#SlideFrame_0

Similar storyline from a weekly newspaper which had the blaring headline "If you see a gringo with a camera, SHOOT HIM" attributed to the government in Mexico.