Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fall Collection

Real Name
    Wendy

Fall Collection

The colour display is over for this year. Waiting for the snow now. In the meantime here are a few that I liked. I think I did better this year than last, but still lots of room to improve. C&C welcome.

Fall Collection
    Nikon D3000: 18-200mm: 1/200s: f16: ISO 800: 200mm

Fall Collection
    Nikon D3000: 18-200mm: 1/400s: f16: ISO 800: 80mm

Fall Collection
    Nikon D3000: 18-200mm: 1/2500s: f8: ISO 800: 130mm

Fall Collection
    Nikon D3000: 18-200mm: 1/60s: f8: ISO 200: 46mm

Fall Collection
    Nikon D3000: 18-200mm:1/160s: f8: ISO 800: 200mm

Fall Collection
    Panasonic Lumix G1: 13-45mm: 1/4000s: f5.6: ISO 400: 45mm

If you made it through all those, thanks for looking. Sorry I got carried away.
    Wendy

Re: Fall Collection

Wendy

Just a quick comment as Iam getting ready for work. No 6 is a much improved variant on the Teletubbies abstract.Some may say this is oversaturated but it really works for me. You now have the 3 contrasting elements. I would clone the clouds out though

I also like No3 it is beautifully composed with the diagonal cloud. Nice one.I will have to come back to No 4 . I really want to like this but there is something about the framing. Super powers of observation as usual though

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Wendy,

Welll done and I agree with Steve particularly about #6 and the minimalist discussion we had recently. I like the composition in #1 & 2 but #1 looks out of focus (I am not sure if that is what you wanted) and #2. the colours all look false (on my screen). #5 just doesn't work for me with the line of white rocks dividing the scene and the red plastic tap.

I look forward to the snow shots now.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yep, as I scrolled through my reaction to #6 was the same as the guys above (then I scrolled down and noticed they had already said it). But I'll still say it anyway.

#3 - That barn is wonderful and must offer up a lot of possibilities. I really like that one.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Wendy

No 6 is a much improved variant on the Teletubbies abstract.Some may say this is oversaturated but it really works for me. You now have the 3 contrasting elements. I would clone the clouds out though
    LOL, thanks Steve, glad it's just cloning out the clouds this time and not cloning in teletubbies. Actually I tried to clone in some nice white fluffy clouds from another shot, but that did not work too well. I'm pretty sure I can clone these out though. This is oversaturated on purpose, and as a result the clouds went too dark. If I could get them back to white, while keeping the rest as is, I think I would like them.

from Wirefox: No 4 . I really want to like this but there is something about the framing.
    Yes, I think it needs straigtening out somehow, but I've skewed it this way and that and I just can't get it right. I had to come at it from an angle to get both windows, but I have trouble keeping a horizon strait, something like this is a nighmare for me.

Thanks for the feedback
    Wendy

Real Name
    Kay

Wonderful series Wendy!
    1,2 and 5 are my favourites....cos they instantly appeal....then they reward me more with the wee details of animals/birds & green barn

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Wendy,

Well done and I agree with Steve particularly about #6 and the minimalist discussion we had recently.
    Glad it's getting better. I think the reason I want to try and get shots like this is because in my area it is so rare to see a plain field and sky or anything else for that matter without some kind of obstruction, so when I do come across something remotely wide open, it gives me a peaceful feeling. Sounds silly, I know, but I think it has something to do with overcrowding and maybe I am getting claustrophobic in my old age. I should live on the prairies so I could take shots of vast fields of wheat without a tree or or anything else in sight. There is something about wide open spaces that I find so calming and that is what I am going for with these shots - Space, no clutter, perhaps not even a subject - just space - not outer space though, there has to be some colour.

I like the composition in #1 & 2 but #1 looks out of focus (I am not sure if that is what you wanted) and #2. the colours all look false (on my screen). #5 just doesn't work for me with the line of white rocks dividing the scene and the red plastic tap.
    #1 is not supposed to be out of focus. I'm finding that most of my distance shots at 200mm look that way. I figured it was camera shake due to the low shutter speeds I was usually using, but I've upped the ISO to get faster shutter speeds and still get the same results. I guess I will have to call it my style, because I can't afford a new lens.
    #2 Hmmm, the colours look OK here, but I will admit that I did some tweaking of the colours in PP, not that much though, it's pretty much as I remember it.
    #5 Glad to get a comment on this one. You know... I worked so hard to make sure the horizon was not centred and then I went and put the rocks smack dab in the middle. Silly me, I did not even notice that.

I look forward to the snow shots now.
    If you like blue snow, you are in for a treat.

Thanks for the feedback
    Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yep, as I scrolled through my reaction to #6 was the same as the guys above (then I scrolled down and noticed they had already said it). But I'll still say it anyway.

#3 - That barn is wonderful and must offer up a lot of possibilities. I really like that one.
    Thanks Donald: I've taken so many shots of that silly barn, and have not liked any of them, but I do think the clouds, the ploughed field and the bit of colour in the trees helped this one out.

Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Wonderful series Wendy!
    1,2 and 5 are my favourites....cos they instantly appeal....then they reward me more with the wee details of animals/birds & green barn
    Thanks Kay: Methinks you like a mystery, and lord knows the details in some of my shots have to be searched for.

Wendy

Real Name
    John

#3 Nice splash of red, it really brings out what could have been called a serene image.
    #4 Windows, always a mystery about what lies behind and who stands in front.
    #6 Nice contrast, the cloud is almost not even there but gives the photo a helping hand in leading the viewer's eyes throughout, where if the cloud was not there, the viewer's eyes would just stop in mid frame.

This is a really beautiful series of shots! I've enjoyed it (of course!) and learned a bit, too!

Real Name
    Steve

I really like #4 but there seems to be something going on. It looks as though it is barrel distorted but that can't be right since it is 46mm. It is a really good picture that I think could be made stunning with a little distortion correction, even if it isn't distorted.

#3 is also good for different reasons and the clouds are a bit dark in #6 but in general I like it.

ps #4 is the sort of pic I would try Orton on, with a little Pin Light sandwiched between a Multiply and Normal layers, but you have to be careful with Pin Light or maybe even try Exclusion or Difference; nothing else seems to work and unfortunately it is hard to say what effects these will have, but generally the aim is to make the light a little more hazy.

Gauss is normally set between 30 and 60 pixels but I even go up to 250 pixels sometimes, but set it whilst already in a Normal sandwich on top set about 10% opacity just to get an idea.

Anyway, it is already a wonderful picture, and I seem to remember it was you who told me how to do Orton.
    Last edited by arith; 25th October 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks Arith: I'm with you on the Orton up until you start talking about Excluding or Multiplying Different Layered Normal Pinlight Sandwiches

Hmmm I don't think I told you how to do Orton, but I may have given you some links to the methods that I've tried. You seem to be working on the Arith effect though, I think you have gone way beyond Orton. When I get settled in my new place I will give it a try. I like what you've been doing on some of your shots.

P.S. I know what you mean about the distortion. I only tried straitening it out with Lightroom. I might have to try some of the perspective tools in Elements. I don't know how to use them though and usually make it worse or end up loosing most of the shot.

Wendy

Real Name
    Steve

I have devised a workflow Wendy; that seems to work. Put guidelines in then do the distortion pin or barrel type first, then try to line up verticals with vertical perspective but you might have to rotate a bit then try verticals again and again, leaving horizontal perspective until last. But if you lose too much you do less and compromise.

Real Name
    Wendy

#6 Nice contrast, the cloud is almost not even there but gives the photo a helping hand in leading the viewer's eyes throughout, where if the cloud was not there, the viewer's eyes would just stop in mid frame.
    Thanks John for the feedback on this shot and the others. In # 6 I think I would like the clouds better if I could get them back to white. I will have to work on that. I'm sure it can be done. I did a quick try of cloning them out, but I think it needs the clouds, and you've given me the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    This is a really beautiful series of shots! I've enjoyed it (of course!) and learned a bit, too!
    Thanks Katy - glad you enjoyed them. I have a feeling we will both be doing much better with this type of shot by next fall

Wendy

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Have to agree with the others Wendy, and with their crits in the main.
    Great series and enviable countryside.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks for the feedback Mike. It is a nice countryside, but you would not believe the rate at which the suburbs are eating it up. I don't know what the planners are thinking. Perhaps they all have stocks in Bio-engineering companies. Mmmmmmm synthetic food, that's got to be delicious and good for you to boot.

Rant over - it's very depressing though - I see surveyors all the time on these sites, which might not mean a subdivision, but something's going on.

Wendy