Real Name
    David

Re: Verry verry long exposure time

Hi Aldo - Good find.

David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That's nearly as long as some of Colins.

Real Name
    Jason

Hey I guess I'm still a noob but how do you get a camera to do such a long exposure. My d90 only goes to 30 seconds, do you need the remote shutter release?

Fantastic photo by the way I remember seeing some more of his work on another website. I would never have the patience to wait for a picture like that.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Don't miss the "More Pinholes" link down the bottom of the page either.

Well found Aldo

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    Hey I guess I'm still a noob but how do you get a camera to do such a long exposure. My d90 only goes to 30 seconds, do you need the remote shutter release?
    Jason

If you give it one turn beyond 30 secs, does it say 'bulb'? I think the D90 should, but the Nikonites can come in and confirm. That's the setting. And then you need a tripod and cable release. These usually have a means of locking the shutter open. So you can sit in the house/car whilst the shutter remains open. You just need to remember to go back and close the shutter after the requisite time.

ps - Have you noticed how the letters 'u' and 'i' are next to each other on the keyboard. Was very nealry very embarrasing until I double-checked the typing above.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Jason

If you give it one turn beyond 30 secs, does it say 'bulb'? I think the D90 should, but the Nikonites can come in and confirm. That's the setting. And then you need a tripod and cable release. These usually have a means of locking the shutter open. So you can sit in the house/car whilst the shutter remains open. You just need to remember to go back and close the shutter after the requisite time.

ps - Have you noticed how the letters 'u' and 'i' are next to each other on the keyboard. Was very nealry very embarrasing until I double-checked the typing above.
    Yes Donald, Nikon works the same but you need to use Manual mode (not Shutter or Aperture). S & A only go down to 30 seconds. The other thing to consider is 'how long will your battery last'? Possibly best to use an older film camera and scan the negative later.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Jason

It does say bulb I just never knew what it meant. Im going to have to get one of those. I just upgraded my tripod to a vanguard alta pro. I love it but the ball head that came with it isnt the best.

Also I probably should go take a look at my manual but when i do a long exposure like 15s i get a message that says job nr and the picture does not display untill i turn the camera off then back on. It never used to do that until lately.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    Also I probably should go take a look at my manual but when i do a long exposure like 15s i get a message that says job nr and the picture does not display untill i turn the camera off then back on. It never used to do that until lately.
    The Nikon owners are going to have to come in to explain this one.

I thought I might have had an idea, but the fact that it just started happening recently sort-of blows my theory out. It was -

If you took, say, a 15s exposure, did you wait another 15s before you turned the camera off?

The 'nr' you saw could be for 'noise reduction'.

There is a setting on Canon's for 'Long Exposure Noise Reduction'. You can set this to 'On', 'Off' or 'Auto' in the menu settings. If it's operational, then something (which I don't understand) is done 'in-camera' to help the noise reduction. This takes exactly as long as the primary exposure. So, in other words, if you set up for a 15s exposure, it actually takes 30s before you'll see anything in the camera.

For that to have happened just recently, as you say, it would have required you to go into the camera menu settings and set it to 'Auto' or 'On' if had previously been 'Off'.

Real Name
    Remco

Afaik, the long exposure noise reduction is a black frame subtraction, with the black frame taken just after the shot. For optimal results, the black frame exposition must be as long as the original exposition and at same ISO settings... Its main use is hot pixel removal/reduction.