Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Carrwood Autumn

Real Name
    David

Carrwood Autumn

There does not seem to have been any HDR images posted here for about a month. Here are a couple from Carrwood, a wooded area near my home. They were taken with my Canon 5D Mark II, using the Canon 24 - 105 mm EF lens. Three images were taken , 0 and +/- 2 stops. The first image also has exposure compensation of +1.5 stops. A monopod was used for stability.

The processing used Photomatix Pro 4.0, although I checked the EV range (about 13) using Picturenaut. Further sharpening and LCE were carried out using the Gimp.

Carrwood Autumn

Carrwood Autumn

The first of the images is probably the more obvious tone-mapped HDR, but the second looks highly natural to my eye. Close inspection, at least on my original images, shows that Photomatix fails to carry out perfect alignment, but that probably does not matter in busy images. Inspection at 100% also shows some of the trees suffer from "black spot".

Comments and crits are welcome as usual.

David

Tag: darw_hdr_1
    Last edited by David; 21st October 2010 at 09:16 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Carrwood Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The first of the images is probably the more obvious tone-mapped HDR, but the second looks highly natural to my eye. David
    David

I agree, and for that reason #2 is much the more pleasing image to my eye. As I've written before, these, what I call, overcooked images do nothing for me at all. What you have done with #2, in my opinion, is made proper use of the process to present an HDR scene.
    Last edited by Donald; 21st October 2010 at 10:10 AM.