Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I would expect that this is just the beginning

Real Name
    Richard

I would expect that this is just the beginning

This Karl Taylor YouTube video shows him using the Broncolor Siros L flash with the Broncolor HS Trigger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1eWrew1K9g

This battery operated flash can be used with the HS trigger at any shutter speed your DSLR can handle. Sync at 1/4,000 or even 1/8,000 second is possible

The Siros L 800 is powerful and would give you a lot more power than even a bank of several hotshoe strobes shooting at HSS. However, the Broncolor unit is quite expensive and IMO, the cost restricts the use to professional photographers or independently wealthy shutter bugs.

I think however, if a Chinese company could come out with somewhat equivalent unit for about $500 (USD) or less, it would be a success!

Real Name
    Yes

Re: I would expect that this is just the beginning

Well it took an assistant and the model to carry the equipment, and on a windy day it would be fun. Of course the flash only gets a small proportion of its power to the sensor as it has to fire to cover the focal plane shutter.

The problem with cheap Chinese studio flashes are the inability to produce proportional modeling lights, one may get half power switches or a knob one can turn to reduce the strength of the modeling light. For anything other than simple set ups these cheap lights lose utility and one may as well use standard hotshoe flashguns.

What is surprising is that Canon or Nikon have not made a lens incorporating a shutter. One would have thought there was a market for this to provide high speed sych for studio flash. Is it the cost of building a reliable shutter? As it is Hassleblad have the market, including the new mirrorless camera.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    Well it took an assistant and the model to carry the equipment, and on a windy day it would be fun. Of course the flash only gets a small proportion of its power to the sensor as it has to fire to cover the focal plane shutter.

The problem with cheap Chinese studio flashes are the inability to produce proportional modeling lights, one may get half power switches or a knob one can turn to reduce the strength of the modeling light. For anything other than simple set ups these cheap lights lose utility and one may as well use standard hotshoe flashguns.

What is surprising is that Canon or Nikon have not made a lens incorporating a shutter. One would have thought there was a market for this to provide high speed sych for studio flash. Is it the cost of building a reliable shutter? As it is Hassleblad have the market, including the new mirrorless camera.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    As it is Hassleblad have the market, including the new mirrorless camera.
    Phase One offer in-lens leaf shutters too using the Schneider-Kreuznach line of lenses.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products...ms/Lenses.aspx

I remember reading that one of the reasons that Phase One bought Mamiya camera was so that they could start designing and building their own leaf shutter lenses.

Why don't Nikon and Canon do so? I suspect cost is a major factor. Putting a shutter into every lens is not an inexpensive proposition and unlike Hasselblad or Phase One, Nikon, Canon, etc. are essentially a mass market camera supplier.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Why don't Nikon and Canon do so? I suspect cost is a major factor. Putting a shutter into every lens is not an inexpensive proposition and unlike Hasselblad or Phase One, Nikon, Canon, etc. are essentially a mass market camera supplier.
    I suspect a large part of the cost could be that there's no electrical connection available to the lens that can be suitably configured, so (without lateral thinking) that suggests a compatibility issue and/or even possibly lens mount changes would be required

With lateral thinking; I'd suggest that perhaps (these days) an alternative 'connection' via Bluetooth, WiFi or NFC could be implemented - not without its challenges I'm sure, but also nowhere near the pain of a new hardware lens interface.

Probably easier to just implement it on the sensor as mirrorless systems offer though.

Real Name
    Richard

Here is a fairly powerful monolight which works on a battery and has HSS capability. The $600 USD price is pretty stiff but, within reason. I didn't quite catch how he was triggering this unit...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZJAYD38bWw

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Here is a fairly powerful monolight which works on a battery and has HSS capability. The $600 USD price is pretty stiff but, within reason. I didn't quite catch how he was triggering this unit...
    The Godox version is available a lot cheaper on eBay. However, I wonder how my Canon 600EX RT flash in a 3-flash mount, along with a pair of Flashpoint Zoom Power Manual hotshoe flashes would work. It would certainly be a lot less expensive since I already have the 600EX RT and one of the Flashpoint hotshoe flashes as well as the Flashpoint R2 TTL transmitter.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Godox has its own proprietary radio triggers and the AD600 series have a built in receiver. The simple one I have for the Godox AD360 does not support HSS, but I could potentially get one with that capability.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I didn't quite catch how he was triggering this unit...
    Looks (from 1:58 onwards) just like my Godox X1T, sold as Flashpoint R2 TTL TX over there, which I think you already own.