Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Tablet - Questions

Real Name
    Grahame

Graphics Tablet - Questions

I'm considering getting a small Graphics Tablet to use with PSCC whilst here in the UK but am getting confused as to what would be acceptable

Wacom have the Intuos range but they appear to come with various software depending upon the model you buy. Some web info suggests although the software they come with will be art or photo based, if you have your own PP software that is irrelevant.

The model I can get hold of in the time I have remaining here is the 'Intuos Draw Pen Tablet Small'. Basically I know nothing about tablets

So I have two questions;

a) Would this be compatible with PSCC?

b) From anyone that has experience of using a small tablet such as this is it really going to be an improvement on using a mouse for fine selection work?

And I still have room to spare in my suitcase

Grahame

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Graphics Tablet - Questions

There is a learning curve with a tablet vs. a mouse but, after that learning curve is mastered, a tablet can be more accurate. In fact, the Intuos Mouse also seems more accurate but, that may be my imagination.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Grahame - As a long time Wacom tablet user, I will say that for certain types of editing, especially for fine selection work, nothing beats a tablet. I started out with a medium Intuos 3 and replaced it with the Intuos Pro Small about 2-1/2 years ago.

My tablet appears to have been discontinued and the replacement M size is just a little bit larger than my S Size for travel; which is why I initially went for the smallest tablet. It has a 4" x 6" active area and is on the lower end of what I find usable. The one you are looking at is has roughly the same work area.

While it does not say it supports PS CC, it is effectively a mouse replacement and like a mouse it is rather end-use agnostic. Even though it ships with a software bundle, I expect you should have no issues using it with any other software.

The one warning I will leave you with is that the learning curve is extremely steep and I have met some people who have not mastered it and gave up. Once you do figure it out, you'll wonder why you did not catch on more quickly. It is invaluable for fine selection and I would not use the pen tool any other way.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 10th July 2017 at 04:44 PM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    There is a learning curve with a tablet vs. a mouse but, after that learning curve is mastered, a tablet can be more accurate. In fact, the Intuos Mouse also seems more accurate but, that may be my imagination.
    Yes I can believe that Richard.

I do not see it as something I would be using on every image but as an example of where I think it may be helpful is on some images I worked recently where I needed to brush some boat masts in to lighten them up, long narrow straight lines.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Grahame - As a long time Wacom tablet user, I will say that for certain types of editing, especially for fine selection work, nothing beats a tablet. I started out with a medium Intuos 3 and replaced it with the Intuos Pro Small about 2-1/2 years ago.

My tablet appears to have been discontinued and the replacement M size is just a little bit larger than my S. Size for travel is why I initially went for the smallest tablet. It has a 4" x 6" active area and is on the lower end of what I find usable. The one you are looking at is has roughly the same work area.

While it does not say it supports PS CC, it is effectively a mouse replacement and like a mouse it is rather end-use agnostic. Even though it ships with a software bundle, I expect you should have no issues using it with any other software.

The one warning I will leave you with is that the learning curve is extremely steep and I have met some people who have not mastered it and gave up. Once you do figure it out, you'll wonder why you did not catch on more quickly. It is invaluable for fine selection and I would not use the pen tool any other way.
    Thank you Manfred, useful info for me.

It's one of those bits of kit I can not get easily in Fiji but available here in a shop just 15 minutes walk away, and reasonably priced.

And 20 minutes walk away is a 'real' camera shop, that I have been allowed to spend time in

I use the Wacom Intuos 10 x 6 ins, Grahame, and wouldn't be without it for creating selections or brushing to edit masks etc.

Previously I have used cheaper brands and they didn't last, although being significantly cheaper you could afford to purchase several of them for the same price.

You do need to set up the tablet properties to suit your personal style but that is fairly simple and I have disabled some functions which just irritated me; such as zooming with your fingers etc.

The choice of size is another personal preference. Some people have very fine control over their hands and can control the small finger movements which are required; however, I need to swing my arms about and have plenty of movement space.

The added software is just a sales gimmick; so if you don't want it, throw it away and continue with your current software. Mine came without anything except the installation disc.

If you are still wondering about getting a tablet try this test. Write your name on a piece of paper with a pen or pencil. Now try to do the same thing on your computer using the mouse. That is the difference.

But I still use my old fashioned mouse for a few mostly text based things which involve just multiple clicking.

Real Name
    Dave

I have an Intuos small, and agree with most of the other comments.

For me, it is not a complete mouse replacement: I still use a mouse for Word documents, spreadsheets and so, but for drawing it can't be beat.

One thought, the tablet maps to the screen. So if you need to do detail work, just zoom on the image and you also "zoom" in on the tablet.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Grahame, I have a small Wacom tablet that I use occasionally. Most of the time though, I use a mouse. I use a relatively inexpensivve gaming mouse because on its lowest dpi setting, the pointer moves fairly slowly and accurate selection isn't a problem. What it won't do though for example, is allow me to use the pressure sensitive setting in pscc. I won't try and claim one is better than the other but it occurs to me that if selection is the only criterian and if you are travelling, in cost and weight terms, a mouse similar to mine might make sense. Just a thought.
    Last edited by John 2; 10th July 2017 at 10:15 PM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I use the Wacom Intuos 10 x 6 ins, Grahame, and wouldn't be without it for creating selections or brushing to edit masks etc.

Previously I have used cheaper brands and they didn't last, although being significantly cheaper you could afford to purchase several of them for the same price.

You do need to set up the tablet properties to suit your personal style but that is fairly simple and I have disabled some functions which just irritated me; such as zooming with your fingers etc.

The choice of size is another personal preference. Some people have very fine control over their hands and can control the small finger movements which are required; however, I need to swing my arms about and have plenty of movement space.

The added software is just a sales gimmick; so if you don't want it, throw it away and continue with your current software. Mine came without anything except the installation disc.

If you are still wondering about getting a tablet try this test. Write your name on a piece of paper with a pen or pencil. Now try to do the same thing on your computer using the mouse. That is the difference.

But I still use my old fashioned mouse for a few mostly text based things which involve just multiple clicking.
    Thank you Geoff,

I'm now convinced I will purchase one.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    I have an Intuos small, and agree with most of the other comments.

For me, it is not a complete mouse replacement: I still use a mouse for Word documents, spreadsheets and so, but for drawing it can't be beat.

One thought, the tablet maps to the screen. So if you need to do detail work, just zoom on the image and you also "zoom" in on the tablet.

Dave
    Thanks for the useful info Dave.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Grahame, I have a small Wacom tablet that I use occasionally. Most of the time though, I use a mouse. I use a relatively inexpensivve gaming mouse because on its lowest dpi setting, the pointer moves fairly slowly and accurate selection isn't a problem. What it won't do though for example, is allow me to use the pressure sensitive setting in pscc. I won't try and claim one is better than the other but it occurs to me that if selection is the only criterian and if you are travelling, in cost and weight terms, a mouse similar to mine might make sense. Just a thought.
    Thanks John, I would not be using a tablet for editing whilst travelling.

I only travel with a rubbishy laptop that has an appalling screen with very questionable colour and contrast

Real Name
    John

Your welcome Grahame. If I'm being really honest, my preference for the mouse in using PScc is based on laziness. Pressing the DPI button is a lot less hassle than connecting up the tablet. I don't use the tablet full time because when it comes to other apps (editing in word/excel or the TV etc.) I much prefer to use a mouse.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Your welcome Grahame. If I'm being really honest, my preference for the mouse in using PScc is based on laziness. Pressing the DPI button is a lot less hassle than connecting up the tablet. I don't use the tablet full time because when it comes to other apps (editing in word/excel or the TV etc.) I much prefer to use a mouse.
    I'm even lazier than you John - my mouse and tablet are both connected to my computer at the same time (i.e. all the time). I use my mouse for most of the software on my computer, but just move my tablet into position and grab the stylus to edit.

Real Name
    John

Interesting Manfred. I don't really have the room for that but when I first bought the Tablet, I had the same arrangement. However, I started having cursor lock up problems which went away if I disconnected the tablet (might also have worked the other way around but I didn't try). I put it down to an incompatibility between tablet and mouse software. I now have a different mouse. Might try it again - if I can get the tablet back from our eldest who uses it for graphic art.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Grahame, using a mouse and a Wacom is not hard at all. I connect both mouse and Wacom and use whichever way it suits me. My old small Wacom used to be connected simultaneously with a mouse too and I just put the pen down when using the mouse. No conflict at all even if it is in its cradle but I am weird that way.

A few weeks ago I bought a touchscreen laptop/tablet and it is INK ready so I bought the Wacom Bamboo stylus to use with it. It came with 3 nibs. When I am here at home, I just connect my laptop/tablet to a large screen and I am fine with editing too using the stylus. Using it with Photoshop, it is just like any other Wacom stylus that I used to use, just that this one already have the software built-in to my laptop. Less footprint space too is what I like about this, as I do not have to bring a physical tablet, just the stylus and the laptop with me on a trip.

Real Name
    Richard

Desk Space

I have limited space on my slide out keyboard rest of my computer desk. However, a medium Wacom Tablet fits on the desk itself and I use it that way...

Like Izzie, I use whichever type pointer will suit my purpose - mouse or tablet and stylus

Real Name
    John Isner

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    I do not see it as something I would be using on every image but as an example of where I think it may be helpful is on some images I worked recently where I needed to brush some boat masts in to lighten them up, long narrow straight lines.
    The best way to climb the learning curve is to disconnect your mouse (have someone hide it!) so you're forced use the tablet for everything. The pen can do anything the mouse can do, and much more. In a few days you'll be used to it, assuming you use it for a couple of hours every day. If you'll be working much with brushes, I suggest getting the Intuos Art Pen so you can take advantage of all the brush dynamics in PS.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by jisner View Post
    The best way to climb the learning curve is to disconnect your mouse (have someone hide it!) so you're forced use the tablet for everything. The pen can do anything the mouse can do, and much more. In a few days you'll be used to it, assuming you use it for a couple of hours every day. If you'll be working much with brushes, I suggest getting the Intuos Art Pen so you can take advantage of all the brush dynamics in PS.
    John, I'll be giving it a go next week when I can get back on to my desktop and monitor. I only have access to a laptop at present and can't load the software as the disc drive has died

Real Name
    Paul

I completely agree with jisner. The fastest way to learn the tablet is use it for everything. It will be frustrating at first but you will quickly develop the hand/eye/screen coordination. I'm using the Wacom Intuos M tablet (I have the desk space) and love it. Good luck.

PRS

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by PRSearls View Post
    I completely agree with jisner. The fastest way to learn the tablet is use it for everything. It will be frustrating at first but you will quickly develop the hand/eye/screen coordination. I'm using the Wacom Intuos M tablet (I have the desk space) and love it. Good luck.

PRS
    After almost 3 weeks back home the Intuous tablet still sits in its box on the dining table !

I'm now trying to make the decision on which out of two desks I have found to buy to replace my present space restricted work station

I'll get there, it's just that at present learning flash as a priority and taking photos is eating up too much of my time

Grahame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast