Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Xi'an, China - Part One

Real Name
    Richard

Xi'an, China - Part One

I would expect that two of the quintessential images of China are that of the Great Wall, North of Beijing and of the Terracotta Warriors located near the city of Xi’an. Xi’an was the second city we visited on our China Focus Tour. It is a wonderfully clean city that, although it was the capitol of China during many dynasties, has gained its tourist fame from the wonderful Terracotta Warriors which were discovered by famers digging a well near the city. The Terracotta Warriors unearthed in the farmer’s field were only a fragment of the wonderful array of these soldiers that were made in order to follow and protect Chin, the first emperor of united China into the hereafter.

We arrived at our hotel in Xi’an well after dark and as soon as we were in our rooms, we heard raucous music from the street below. Looking out the window, I saw a celebration on the street and grabbed my camera with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and my 550EX flash and ran down to see what was happening…

It was celebration of Quing Ming when Chinese go to the graves of their ancestors and burn paper offerings of money and other goodies so that the ancestors are supplied with these needs in the life hereafter. The local newspaper stated that the newest paper offerings were ladies' bras.

Xi'an, China - Part One

Since China is now a country in which the population is quite mobile due to manufacturing jobs in the cities, Quing Ming celebrants burn their offerings where streets cross.

Xi'an, China - Part One

The music we had heard was from a street band accompanying dancers…

Xi'an, China - Part One

The dancers were very friendly and appeared to enjoy having their pictures shot…

Xi'an, China - Part One

Xi'an, China - Part One

The next morning, I looked down at the street cleaners sweeping up the residue of the Quing Ming celebration…

Xi'an, China - Part One

The street in front of our hotel was unusually empty for a Chinese City. This was quite a change from overcrowded Beijing…

Xi'an, China - Part One

Across the street from our hotel, we saw what are called, “The National Birds of China”. These are the very prevalent construction cranes. Everywhere you look, buildings are being torn down and new buildings built…

Xi'an, China - Part One

The hotel doorman was dressed as a Chin Dynasty Warrior…

Xi'an, China - Part One

As we traveled to the Terracotta Warrior Museum, the bus passed a power generating station. At first, I thought it was nuclear but, was told that it was coal powered. Coal is the major fuel in China and accounts for much of the evident air pollution. This was shot through the bus window. I don't usually like to do that but, felt that this view was worth the lessening of I.Q. caused by the tinted and dirty glass,,,

Xi'an, China - Part One

The grounds of the Terracotta Warrior Museum are very well kept…

Xi'an, China - Part One

The area was crowded with Chinese Tourists…

Xi'an, China - Part One

The pit in which the ranks of Terracotta Warriors stand is awesome in size. Many tourists were attempting to use flash which, of course, would have been futile in an area this large…

Xi'an, China - Part One

I used my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens to get overall shots. My monopod really came in handy…

Xi'an, China - Part One

I was able to get relative close up images with my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and the pod and IS again came in handy…

Xi'an, China - Part One

Each warrior’s face is different…

Xi'an, China - Part One

The Museum Gift Shop has some wonderful reduced size statues…

Xi'an, China - Part One

As well as other souveniers of Xi’an…

Xi'an, China - Part One

Tomorrow, I'll post Part Two
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th October 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Xi'an, China - Part One

Keep them coming. It's like waiting for the next episode of a favourite programme.

Again, the street photos tell us so much. I remember when you previously posted the ceremony pictures and was struck by learning something about Chinese life that I had never imagined.
    Last edited by Donald; 11th October 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I didn't like to repeat the imagery but, they just fit in here...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I didn't like to repeat the imagery but, they just fit in here...
    Of course they do. No criticism intended.