Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bold Colour and Another Golden Oldie

Bold Colour and Another Golden Oldie

My 28-200 stays on my camera most of the time so I wanted a cheap solution for my youngest daughters 450D. Enter the 1987 Canon EF 70-210 constant f/4. On a 1.6x crop camera the focal range is 114-340mm. I picked one up for £120 in mint condition. This lens still gets excellent reviews and is fully coupled with a modern DSLR electronics so you get autofocus. Talking of auto focus it is certainly not USM. The focusing is positive and torquey compared to USM. It has a slide zoom which although a little odd to start with it is very positive and smooth. There is a slide switch on the barrel with manual/1.5m-infinity and Macro. It is quite a long lens when fully extended (just over 7" (I said I would be sensible so I am biting my tongue here). The zoom and focusing cause the barrel to be extended but it is very light and well made.

I took it for a test drive today and gave it the challenge of shooting into the sun. Not bad for a 23 year old lens. I like it and will certainly be borrowing it again

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Bold Colour and Another Golden Oldie

Yes it is really good. I don't know how you managed blue water but it looks fine. it looks sharp. The last image has me confused so I will just ignore it. I can't understand how yo got the flare pattern.

Real Name
    Kay

The last one is the favourite for me
    does anyone else find that when they go out with a goal in mind be in lesson x in portraiture or their next PAD shot...the last one you take is often the 1 chosen?

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

That's a great find, Steve. Gotta love the colour and sharpness. I think the last is my (slight) favourite. Can't really say why in a critique kind of way, but the division of colour, the strong silhouette and the bokeh (?) shapes appeal.

Real Name
    Richard

For me the last one is the best too, the bokeh points in the background are really nice and also complementary with the subject, all angular and cascading. Not that the others aren't good though, they're all nice.

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

I like them all Steve but the last is one I am drawn to. It is a "gazing" photo to me. It relaxes my mind. Very well done.

Real Name
    Myra

Steve, I the composition and colours are just lovely. You are braver than I with saturation and have such a flair for creating just the right combination of colour and brightness. The last one is stunning.

I am also excited to know that you have the same lens I bought off ebay a few months ago! I used it a little bit in a hockey rink today (have some shots posted under "Love the One You're With"), and I was pretty happy with its performance at a horse show a couple of weeks ago. When used for portraits, the whole photo just has a different look - different type of boka and it seems to soften the skin just a bit. I do find the AF hunts a lot if the light is not good, but maybe that can be said of many lens?

Myra

Many thanks all. I also like the last shot. I knew this lens would produce some interesting flare artefacts and when I saw the droplets gleaming in the sun I couldn't resist.

I am also excited to know that you have the same lens I bought off ebay a few months ago! I used it a little bit in a hockey rink today (have some shots posted under "Love the One You're With"), and I was pretty happy with its performance at a horse show a couple of weeks ago. When used for portraits, the whole photo just has a different look - different type of boka and it seems to soften the skin just a bit. I do find the AF hunts a lot if the light is not good, but maybe that can be said of many lens?
    I knew someone else on CiC had tried this lens but I could not remember who it was. Yes the AF does hunt but I have found it pretty accurate once it is latched on. I am pleased to hear that it performs well under difficult shooting conditions. I suspect my daughter will put it through its paces far more than I ever will.

There is a review HERE...yes I know it's Uncle Ken Rocksoff but it seems pretty accurate

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Beautiful Steve! specially the last one with the great bokeh.