Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Focal length conversion with smugmug.com

Real Name
    Richard

Focal length conversion with smugmug.com

I am a bit confused. When you click on the information icon in smugmug.com, it gives you the pertinent shooting information. It even gives you the equivalent focal length - OR DOES IT see the red circled information....

My calculations are that 330mm on a 1.6x camera like my 7D Mark-2 is equal to 528mm on a full frame camera or 35mm film camera... Not 2415.7mm. Am I reading this correctly????

Real Name
    George

Re: Focal length conversion with smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am a bit confused. When you click on the information icon in smugmug.com, it gives you the pertinent shooting information. It even gives you the equivalent focal length - OR DOES IT see the red circled information....

My calculations are that 330mm on a 1.6x camera like my 7D Mark-2 is equal to 528mm on a full frame camera or 35mm film camera... Not 2415.7mm. Am I reading this correctly????
    It seems they're using a cropfactor of 7.32. What sensorsize would that be? Prabably a wrong figure in the camera description. Should be with all camera's than. Or something as e teleconverter in it.

George

Real Name
    Grahame

Had a check on my Smugmug photo info and found that all FLs are correct inc those where I had used a TC.

Real Name
    Dan

I checked several of mine, where I used either a 1.6x crop or a micro 4/3. All of the ratios were correct, but sometimes a TC caused the numbers to be way off (far too big). I only looked at a handful, but I found no cases like yours. I have no idea what is going on with yours, particularly since all of my 1.6x crops are with Canon bodies, including a 7D (not a II).