Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: how to avoid a print to be scanned and then printed big on Canvas?

Real Name
    Hans

how to avoid a print to be scanned and then printed big on Canvas?

Hi all,

Some time ago I did a wedding shoot and when the fresh couple came to pick up the album they were very happy.
    They pointed one picture and asked the price of getting it printed on Canvas in size 60x90 cm. After mentioning the price they didn't order it but now they order this print in size 13x18 cm and still mention it that great picture! It is very likely that they will scan the print and let it printed on Canvas them self. I cannot deliver the print with a watermark because they will never accept it. But is there an other way to make it very difficult for them or the printshop to get good quality this way?
    I have the copyrights but it will be very hard to prove that they scanned the print and place it in their living room.

Real Name
    John

Re: how to avoid a print to be scanned and then printed big on Canvas?

Quote Originally Posted by hansm View Post
    Hi all,

Some time ago I did a wedding shoot and when the fresh couple came to pick up the album they were very happy.
    They pointed one picture and asked the price of getting it printed on Canvas in size 60x90 cm. After mentioning the price they didn't order it but now they order this print in size 13x18 cm and still mention it that great picture! It is very likely that they will scan the print and let it printed on Canvas them self. I cannot deliver the print with a watermark because they will never accept it. But is there an other way to make it very difficult for them or the printshop to get good quality this way?
    I have the copyrights but it will be very hard to prove that they scanned the print and place it in their living room.
    Hans,

I don't think you can prevent them from making copies but depending on how you worded your contract, you should retain the rights to use that particular photograph anyway you want.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Hans,

I don't think you can prevent them from making copies but depending on how you worded your contract, you should retain the rights to use that particular photograph anyway you want.
    Hans,

See the information below.
    In the field of wedding photography, copyright is a form of legal protection that wedding photographers have on their images, layouts, designs and other artistic works. This protection grants them the exclusive right to reproduce or display their images, or authorize others to do so. A photographer is granted copyright at the time the product is created. Copyright does not need to be claimed or registered to belong to the photographer, nor does a notice of copyright need to be present for copyright to be in effect. Copyright is in effect for 70 years after the life of the author (in this case, the photographer). It‘s illegal to violate any of the rights held by the owner of the copyright. It‘s not necessary to obtain a transfer of the copyright to reproduce the images; a reproduction release will serve this purpose. Transfer and reproduction releases need to be put in writing and signed by the photographer. For more information on copyright, visit www.copyright.gov.

It is most important that you discuss photo reproduction policies with your wedding photographer before signing a contract, as they differ widely.

Contributed by AC Ellis Photography

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Hans,

I suspect that your only recourse would be a legal one, and I'd suggest that nobody wants to go there.

Life is seldom fair ... not worth losing sleep over. Sell them the 13 x 18 and move on

Having just said that, it's possibly worth pointing out that not all canvas prints are created equal - a cheap copy taken from a photograph will require careful adjustment and additionally, cheap canvas prints usually aren't over-sprayed and will often start to fade in a year or so (don't belive the "we use solvent based ink so no need to overspray" rubbish for a moment). So you could casually drop into the conversation that a low-cost canvas is a low-quality solution that won't last long - and then they'll need to get it done a 2nd time.

Perhaps $$$ is the problem - would it work to let them pay it off over a few months?

Real Name
    Hans

Thank you guys for your response.

Indeed the best is just sell them the 13x18 print and make a remark that it will not be suitable for high quality canvas prints as Colin said.
    I don't think that they don't have the money but they probably compared my price with the next door cheap printshop.

thanks for the advise.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Hans,

For what it's worth, I sold a canvas for $375 just the other day. I followed up with the chap to make sure he was happy, and he came back with this ...

"Im sure you are right about the fading of thr cheaper ones. I bought a Giclee canvas off TE about 4 years ago. It wasnt really hit by the sun but its utterly poked now

Heres a pic of how Im using yours, it does look pretty sweet"

Cheap prints can be made cheaply for a reason!

Real Name
    Hans

It still happens. In Dutch we call it straight translated: cheap buying is expensive buying.
    Anyway, I don't sleep bad about it sell them the print.